Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safety Glasses are good.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kyser_soze, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

While I was at work today using the table saw, the damn thing kicked back a piece of plywood at my head. I was wearing safety glases otherwise I definetly would have only one working eyeball perminatly. Wear them!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep i will only wear a full face sheild. I was wearing the glasses hind and hand 2 pieces of metal go into my eye while doing some grinding. Lets just say it doesnt feel good when they have to "buzz" out the rusty metal out of your eyeball.
    Some make fun of me when I ask for glasses but I have learned my lesson :crazy:

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dunno........ Having a eye patch is pretty cool if you are a Pirate. Arrrrr!

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

been there, done that...almost lost my left eye to a bottle rocket about 10 years ago. Had to wear a patch for about 6 weeks. ( heard one kid say "mommy, what happened to that guy's eye, he looks like a pirate")All kidding aside, it sucked big time :(

As far as the face shields they are good, but most work places require you to also wear your safety glasses while wearing the face shield over them.

6. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Safety glasses

Yep. safety glasses are good. I find that safety goggles are better as they seal around your eyes so you dont get stuff blowing around the edge of lenses and getting in your eyes. Full face masks are only good when usung a bench grinder where the stream of sparks is directed downwards. I had a metal splinter in my eye once and count myself lucky to still have binocular vision., A patch does look cool but it's cooler to be able to look.
    Incidently, hospitals ask if you've ever had metal splinters in eyes if you have to have an MRI scan, and they wont do one if you have in case the super strong magnets pull your eye out, so i'm told!

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Yesterday I was hooking up my new booster and master cylinder and dove under the dash to hook the brake rod up. While taking a bolt out to lower the steering column a piece of metal fell right into my eye. I was fortunate and took my contact out and was able to get the piece out with a touch of my finger.

I am usually good about wearing my safety glasses too..

I was lucky it didn't take a trip to the ER to fix me.

I paid a few bucks when I used to do cabinet work for a set of safety glasses that were comfortable and bought a face shield too... I wore both when working on the saws.

Its all fun and games till somebody loses an eye and then its blind fun!!

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad has been an eye surgeon for 24 years now and I pretty well ignored his constant rants about people not wearing glasses until I was 15 and had a tiny piece of a cut off wheel lodge itself in my eye. He took me to his office and removed the piece....then cussed me out until he turned blue in the face....been wearing them ever since.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

And its not just power tools you need eye/face protection for.

My ex-boss nearly lost an eye when a tap broke while he was threading some mild steel by hand. They extracted a tap fragment from the BACK of his eyeball :eek1: He has 30-50% vision on that eye now :(

10. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I was just having a conversation about this subject yesterday.. I myself am guilty of never wearing safety goggles when grinding,cutting,weed eating, or just plain beating on something..

What changed my habits for the better is my younger cousin losing 100% vision in his eye do to a piece of metal going almost completely thru it.. He was hammering and a piece of metal went right thru the center of his eye and had to have emergency surgery.. I was called to the hospital and to see was he has went thru has changed me forever.. He is not even 30 years old and comepletely blind in one eye.. And it has certainly changed his for the worse.. He always says it is one of those things you take for granted until it's gone..

So make sure you fellows always wear the proper protection when doing anything that might put you at risk and that includes hearing protection especially if you shoot a lot of guns...

11. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have had shavings dug out of both eyes from grinders and drills and am horrible about wearing eye protection but try these if you can't stand glasses/goggles that don't fit right wiley-x.com Uncle Sam makes us wear them and now I'm in the habit of wearing them all the time when i work on my truck. They come with clear and shaded lenses that you can change easily.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

been there myself..

I had a U-joint "cup" shatter when I was pressing it out at work in the press,and of course the shrapnel flew right under my regular eyeglasses and it bounced off the lens and into my eyeball..had to go to the eye surgon the next day and have them dig it out with a needle!..they put drops in my eye to "freeze" it,like anestesia for your eye..It was VERY painful,I had the worst headache I think I'd ever had in my life--could not work for 2 days,and had to wear an eye patch for over a week... :eek1:

I later discovered some of the metal peices went right thru my 2 shirts,and imbedded itself in me near my belly button!..it felt like a splinter,and I noticed while showering a peice of metal was sticking out of me!... :eek1: ---a doctor said I could have gotten Tetnus from the rusty metal--so I had to get a Tetnus shot in the a$$...that was not fun either...cost 450 bucks for the surgury and shot!..glad I was covered with insurance from work!.. :doah:

I still find myself not wearing my goggles when I should --usually it takes a peice of crud in my eyes to make me use them!--when you wear regular glasses,you get a false sense of security--but often I've had things bounce INTO my eyes off the lenses,like that U-joint cap did..and safety goggles dont usually fit well over regular glasses,and obscure your vision even more (I have poor vision anyway!-safety glasses make me even blinder than I already am!--but I like having 2 fully functional eyes,so I try to use them as much as I can...).. :crazy: