Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

safety inspection thing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Aug 2, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

what do they look for when they do this "inspection" cause hell my truck doesnt look to safe, just wanted to make sure i could pass the inspection.

phill

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

LIghts working, horn working, seatbelts, window in one piece unlike mine.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Your Profile Says You Live In Dallas . They Require Smog Tests In That Area. And Other Stuff Not Required In Other Parts Of The State. Very Strict County.. Good Luck
    Only 5 Counties Do Smog Tests In Texas.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

State Safety Inspection are totaly up to the state. In some cases, it's up to the Highway patrol, or who ever enforces the Safety inspection laws. So, what passes here, may or may not pass somewhere else.
    For example; Utah has a window tint limit, Arizona (from what I have seen) appears like they do not have a window tint limit. If someone was to permanetly move from Arizona to Utah, they would have o remove the tint to drive legaly on Ut. highways.

As a genneral rule; If your truck is not safe to drive, then it will probably fail. Some things to check before hand would be, your lights (brakes/park/blinkers/headlights/intirior indicator lights, etc.) Your brake lining thickness, wheel cyl leaks, axle seal leaks (saturated brake linesing) Ball joints, drag links and tie-rod ends.

Lift laws vary from state to state. But most of them have some kind of law about the tires being too far out-side the fender wells. Some have mud-flap laws. Some have bumper heait laws. Some have headlight height laws.

Twiztid

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I didn't know that some counties in TX have smog. [​IMG] That sucks.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

6. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the tread depth, and insurance/license

Keep it simple!

7. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Dallas,Houston,SanAntonio,Cannot Remember The Other Two.

8. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Austin Is Suppose To Start Testing Soon If Not Already..According To The DPS

9. Rockjunkies

Oklahoma has just stopped doing safety and emision inspections.

Keep it simple!

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

its 25 years old so its exempt from smog, HEHE.

phill

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

As for passing the smog test, go get some RXP. I know for a fact that the Napa in Copell sells it, and I'm sure it's in other parts stores as well. Put that in your tank and drive around for about 30min before you take it in to get it inspected. That will cut down a lot for the smog test. Next, they'll do a visual check on your exhaust. They will check to see if stuff like the air pump hoses are hooked up and such. They will make sure that all your lights work and your brake lights can be seen from 200ft away. You need to have a rear view mirror and at least one good side mirror. Your windshield wipers will be checked along with the blades. No lugnuts missing, turn signals working, no broken lens to where light shines thru, good tread on the tires, horn, seatbelts...can't think of anything else right now.

Clean your truck up...inspectors tend to go a little easier on you with a truck that is clean (not pretty, clean is all they care about).

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

they check your headlights including the high beams.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No way.......Where did emissions testing take place? I'm from the panhandle so when I lived there I only had to do safety inspections.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

14. Rockjunkies

Emission testing was only in the major counties such as Tulsa County and Oklahoma City. And even then I think it was just the city. The places where emissions would be the worst.

Keep it simple!

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

They check for too much play in the steering Plus all the other stuff mentioned by Muddin'.....check your exhaust is not all loose and wobbly at the hangers.....DO NOT get it inspected near an expensive neighborhood (LOL)....make sure your tires are properly inflated so brakes, steering, etc. aren't magnified......the Inspector will check your truck in the bay and also he will drive the truck like around the block or so ....make sure all of your air cleaner parts (hoses) are intact....I think that if you are registered in Dallas Co, you have to have it inspected there.....I live in far north Collin Co, so I don't have to do most of that stuff.....if your truck is 79 or older, I don't think you have to pass emissions.....check and change your wiper blades beforehand....lots of places charge double or triple prices for wiper blades and bulbs.....you also must have a working license plate light rear, and you must have a front plate....Dang!....that's a lotta sh...uh...stuff......good luck.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Make sure your rear view mirror is attached and not wobbly, cracked or dirty... make sure your hazard lights work. If you don't have caps on your valve stems get some. Clean your windows really well too. After my grandparents car was wrecked it had to be inspected. We didn't clean the windows and they said if we were in another wreck with bad windows we could be cited because it could cause an accident. If you got rust anywhere do yourself a favor and spray paint over it with some primer or something. I know TX is different then CA but I think overall people can be butts in any part of the country and you might encounter one who looks for this stuff as stupid as it may seem to us....Like muddin said, clean it up really well that's the best thing you can do...

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

17. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i know the inspector, i just need to make sure it passes the test.

phill

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

MAN!! I'm so glad my state doesn't have all that, I'd be SCREWED!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles