Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Safety of intagrated rool bar on full size K5 Blazers and Jimmys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by agtailg8tr, Apr 15, 2006.

1. agtailg8tr

agtailg8tr Newbie

Someone told me that if you roll a K5 over that the intagrated roll bar would not help save you from injury. I was wondering if anyone has had experince in this case. I wheel in a full size 91 Jimmy with top off and the doors off most of the time. It only has the integrated roll bar and nothing else for protection. Does the integrated roll bar provide any kind of protection. Thanks Agtailg8tr

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That section of roof is multi-layered and is pretty resistant to folding flat. I've seen pic's of pretty demolished K5's where the only part still in decent shape was the 'integrated roll bar'. The front of the windshield does still fold down though...

If you're wheeling hard enough to worry, you should probably look into either building a true roll cage or buying one of the pre-fabbed kits available. Both options are bound to be a lot safer than a bit of extra steel in the roof.

Rene

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I too have seen some real nasty rolls that have trashed the rest of the truck while keeping the roof from collapsing. After seeing these clips, i feel a lot safer wheeling my truck with no cage. It's still a good idea to at least run the doors if you choose to go no cage. They actually are pretty important concerning structural integrity from what I have read.