Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**safety reminder**dont weld in sneakers. pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Aug 11, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I KNOW, I KNOW, I should'nt have warn my tenni shoes, but its a hot nice day so I wanted to wear shorts and I did'nt expect to work on this project I started a few days ago. I was tinkering around in the garage and just picked it up and ran with it.

everytime I do this I say I wont do it again............ofcourse I have not learned just yet :D .

I am making a small bending die to use to bend steel or whatever on my press. I made the round piece on my lathe and slotted it 1/2 X 1/2 so I could press a piece of 1/2 in steel in the slot then weld it in. thats where the problem started.

I know I looked funny as hell jumping around trying to get my shoe and sock off as fast as I could. my first thought was to raise my foot back behand me so my foot would be up side down and the dingle berry would fall off the top of my foot, yea, like that was a good idea.

so then it was a scramble to get the shoe off. and here you have the evidence that sometimes I do...., like alot of YOU TOO, oh come on now, you know who you are, do stupid things. (like how I push the blame off on other people :D its not all my fault :haha: :crazy: :doah: :p: )

atleast they will match the others burns on my feet. :haha:

sorry bout the pic of my ugly foot. atleast I marked it for you to see easier.

Dscn1413.JPG

Dscn1414.JPG

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. rdn2blazer

2 more pics. I will let you know how the die works when I am done. it bottoms out in the end of the round piece. does not hit the cross pin in the ram, just looks like it does from that pic.

Dscn1415.JPG

Dscn1416.JPG

3. rdn2blazer

oh yea, I just had a beer for lunch so I feel SOOO much better now :D .

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

real men weld in sandals. :grin:

of course, I'm the same idiot who grinds with a short sleeve shirt on. My left arm has a nice burning sensation down most of its length after flying bits of metal from my grinder got imbedded in it this morning. :thumb:

j

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Robert, remember how one piece garage doors used to have springs without safety wire? :doah:
    Your pic didn't come through with "quote" but its the springs to the bar/ram.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've actually done worse than that where I've had to dig the little BB out of an oozing crater on top of my foot. Was crouched under a trailer doing a repair and had a liquid blob drop out of a tack...it landed right between the tongue of my boot and my foot.

There is no getting a laced up workboot off fast enough to help much... :doah:

Welding burns suck no matter where they are though.

Rene

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That makes me cringe.

8. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

I rarely wear gloves when welding or plasma cutting, my arms look a lot like your foot. I know how you feel. Although I don't really notice it when it happens anymore. Plus it give me an even better farmers tan.:doah:

Jordan

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

scars!...

I've got my share of "battle scars" from cutting torches when I worked at the junkyard too!..one time the head of a 1/4" bolt went down my sleeve!--it quickly sank into my arm,and had to be dug out with a small screwdriver!(nothing like the smell of burning flesh!:shocked: )..

I remember in vocactional school when I was about 16,I was learning to cut and weld with an arc welder and torches--on one of my first attempts at cutting a 1/2" thick steel plate,a huge blob of orange molten steel dripped right down between my leather boot and stocking!.:yikes: .I didn't even try unlacing it,I knew it would take too long!--I hopped 45' on one foot to the men's room,and plunged my entire foot,boot and all,into the nearest toilet bowl,and flushed it!....then let out a yelp I think the whole school heard!..:rolleyes: ..that one took forever to heal,it went in real deep!..:doah:

I fear for my eyes most of all,I can deal with a few burns elsewhere..:crazy:

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Flip flops....

That way the "weld berries" have an escape route.... :D

Marv

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

SouthWestern style:D

12. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

I like my welding sandals.....

I was barefoot for 3 days after the last one got stuck between my toes.....and no, I did not learn from it.