Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

safety requirements?

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by bp71k5, Jun 7, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi,

I'm thinking I'd like to attend BB06 and maybe even do a few simple trail runs with everyone. What kind of safety checks are required for my truck (if any). Like to I need a fancy 5 point harness, helmet, whatever? The truck is pretty stock except for the lift, so I don't wanna drive over there and find out I can't run it. Plus it's an excuse to get more cool stuff if I'm required to. :)

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No one checks . But use your head on this one . Seat belts for everyone in the truck , fire extinquisher , first aid kit , water to name a few . Some spare parts for the truck too .

And make sure things are tied down inside the cab , and the battery is tied down underhood :thumb:

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One thought is:
    Good to pack cold weather items too, jacket sleeping bag, etc....If you get stuck out there during the night it can get COLD.
    Burt

4. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the tips. Anything else? I'm a newbie so really hardcore trails are probably not for me. :)

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well the cool thing about Moab is there is about 50 trails to choose from and they are rated so you can stick to the easy ones:D or better yet wheel with the folks that have similar rigs to you and your good to go.

6. pauly383

I just reread that and would think at least few of us in Moab would be able to run into to town for help ...... I don't think we will all break at once :D

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahah True! That is why we wheel with friends ..Right :D

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My first bit of carnage at BB '03 my buddy and i sure could have used some warmer clothes among other things (like enough smokes) We hung around the guys doing Upper Helldorado until they got to the waterfall, then walked back to my truck to wheel out through the wash. I sheared 3 of my steering arm studs off after hitting a rock about a half mile from the entrance to Upper.

It was nearing dark, but we figured the guys that were running Upper wouldn't be long. We got FWP on the CB, so it's not like we were gonna get left out there...

Around then we started to get some rain too, and it was getting cold as well. We ended up hanging around inside some cave we found for a few hours. The bit of rain got the waterfall area really slick which turned everything into a mudfest. I'd guess we had to wait about 3 hours before Stephen and Fred found us and gave us a ride out...:doah:

Moral of the story is it's better to have it and not need it than vicy versy.

Worst part was we missed the BBQ/meet and greet and got back to camp minus one truck, cold and muddy and wet. At least Fred had smokes on him...

Rene

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That day, although I wasn't there, is the poster child day for being prepared. It is amazing how fast it can go from no big deal to miserable.

This weekend Stephen and I went over Schofield pass to Crested Butte had dinner and tried to sit through a rain storm. It wasn't passing by so we had to leave and boy did it suck not haveing a windshield in the buggy. At least I had my goretex bibs and rain coat. If I haden't I would have had to either stay in there or buy stuff.
    We drove through rain for several hours, changed a tire on a narrow cliff road in the dark and heavy rain. Luckly we were both prepared and it sucked but never got that bad.

Even though you are with the group alway carry your personal gear for the coldest condition that you might encounter at that time of the year.

For tools I go by the motto that with a large group someone is going to have what you need that you don't have. I carry normal hand tools, the special tools that I might need for the buggy and a few spare u joints etc. but I don't get excessive with carrying parts.
    You guys are right that we are in this together and someone running to town for parts is really very easy top do.

10. pauly383

I keep a flannel shirt in my trail box , and a lawn and leaf bag , which is for trash can become a rain poncho :D