Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sagy "butt" w/1 tons&6 inches

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by megahillbilly, Oct 23, 2005.

1. megahillbilly

megahillbilly Registered Member

got a 72,swap'n in 1 tons. the front 60 whent in fine.(studs from ord were to long so I made my own). putt in the 14bolt and set'er down to see the stance.
    runnin 6"skyjacker softride springs at 4 corners. measuring from the ground to the T.D.C. of wheel well front to rear is a differntance of 3".the rear springs have a 1/2"wedge(shim)that could be removed.
    sounds like the ord shackel flip for the 67-72 is no less than 4"lift.mathematically it works.
    one more ? the front springs have the same wedge ,and installed ords hd front shackels that they claim to be a 1/4' longer than stock and will improve the caster angle.but with the wedge pushin the pinion up a couple degrees and the shackes pushin the pinion back down,,,,to many forces,,,your thoughts will help me greatly, I just might send off for the flip kit tomarrow

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So yer talk'n about a Blazer right?
    If so your source of the 'saggy butt' is in your rear springpacks. See spring makers use the weight specs of a PickUp not a Blazer. The Blazer has a much heavier butt than a p/u.
    I run 4" front & 5.5" rear and I sit level with a hardtop on. If I take the hard top off I have a very slight 'stinkbug' look (butt in the air). I actually like the rear being up just a hair..better than saggin.
    I see alot of lifted Blazers with saggy butts driving around....

Thoes degree shims you are useing work for pinion angle but if you wheel hard or have lots of torque in your engine you bess keep an eye them. I busted my rear ones. They cracked and spit out somewere? I didn't notice until my springperches got bent. So I had to cut them off and re-weld new perches on with the proper pinion angle so now I have no shims to worry about...

Good Luck
    Burt

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Wheel wells on first gen are not the same height rear are lower so gives a look of lower.

ORD makes a 2.5 inch shackle flip. (Wrong Sorry!! Just went to the site :o )

I have 7 inch in back (4 inch flip from ORD and 3 inch tuff country springs) and 6 inch spring up front and I am pretty level using the top of bed rail. With my Heavy damn bumpers and tire carrier I amy have to do a zero rate or something.

I also have the ORD shackles on the front and I use a 7 degree shim to help on castor.

Do a search on saggy butt and you will find several posts on this.

4. megahillbilly

megahillbilly Registered Member

re saggy butt

sorry guys its a 72 c/20.I should of pre measured before I started the axle swap. I bought a complete package of parts from aguy on ebay his parts are pretty good but I expected better.the spring perches did not fit the axle tubes, so I had to hit them with the hot wrench.their made of 1/4' plate,I spent 300 buck's w/shipin and still had to open up the center pin hole,knock all the chinga's from the diff cover and some grindin here and there,and some more there. but every thing was either 1/2 or 1/4 plate and thats what I was lookin fer.the perches are 7 inches long and Im gona weld a plate on the tappered side's.just to help with deformin the perch. Axle wrap WILL be a problem for awhile(496 bbc, w/nv4500,4:10s,35s,and of crourse my foot bends at the anckel!).
    I pulled out the pictures of my truck when ifirst lifted it and it sat pretty level. I cant beleave that the 60 added 2+ inches to the front.Oh where I was goin with the perches was that they'er about 5/8"tall. measurin from the top of perch to t.d.c of tube seat.dayna trac has forged perches that I wanted that are about 1.5 tall,just like stock perches. well I ordered a flip kit and hd rear shack's this mornin.I'm gonna take some more measurments tomarrow.I think what I'm gonna have to do is remove the wedge from the spring pack, add the 4" flip and it might sit 1" high.Im goin with my gut. If it sits to high Ill putt it back to gether and put a friggin block in it and call it junck till I can pick up a set of springs. I dont usealy cut corners like this but Ive got 2 jobs comin that Ive got to clear the shop for.
    Im tryin to figure out this computer stuff out. hope to have pics to show soon. cant figure out the scanner.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hey brother! Met ya today at the High Angle shop. Good to meet ya. Anyways, heres a picture of my diff covers-
    [​IMG]

Thats a 60 cover, the 14b ones look pretty much the same. :)

Oh yeah...hehe, this is my truck-
    [​IMG]
    :D