Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Salty Roads?!!?!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUDDY, Dec 14, 2000.

1. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

OK, from the post on the pirate board about salty roads, I am stressing out about the salt on the roads. I am moving to Buffalo, NY next week and I just 2 months ago replaced the ENTIRE bed floor of my blazer, due to the rot it already had. Because of that little project, (and the 2000 freakin' mile move!!) I don't have the money for the zero-rust or POR-15 undercoating. I figured it would be fine for the rest of the winter but you guys are saying that it won't last more than a month. Really stressin' me out!! My question, obviously, do I HAVE to put something on under there or will it wait.
    I replaced it with 1/8th" diamond plate steel and patches of 12 ga. The inside has full Perma-Tech liner in it so I'm not worried there, it's underneath.

Gimme advice!! and quick!!

thanks,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

my condolences!!! I went to college up there. You get to look forward to freezing your A$$ off, lake effect snow and SALT. The sun disappears in October only to return in April. New cars rust up there, there are no old cars because they rust straight throught the body. Unless of course they are garaged and driven only in the summer. Good luck finding a rust free part in a junk yard......you won't......I scoured junk yards from Niagara falls to Rochester for GTO parts.......only rust........ There is a giant salt mine up there,(someone here from upstate NY must know this place). They get the salt for next to nothing. And its piled.......yes PILED all over the steps and sidewalks and roads........undercoat your K5 to the hilt!!!! No joke Undercoat your ride from the inevitable cancer!!!! It is a continuos freezing snow event up there. Watch the weather channel for Buffalo, I think the same snow storm is going on since I went to school up there, and I graduated 5 years ago!!!!!! Between artic temps and lake effect snow they salt from October to April. By the way, where are you moving from, and what part of Buffalo are you moving to. AND WHY........js PS the Buffalo wings are the best up there.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There isn't too much you can do to keep rust at bay when you're driving through salty slush every day. It permeates every square inch of your rig and starts a chemical reaction that's destined to reduce all of the iron to iron oxide. It eats aluminum even faster. Like JimmyDie6.2 said, you don't see old cars and trucks up there, because they evaporate. [​IMG]

A waxy undercoating (not the rubberized stuff!) can slow things down, but the inevitable rust monster will get you sooner or later if you drive on salted roads. Ziebart used to apply this stuff but I don't know if they're still around or not.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sorry to say I moved there almost 4 years ago with my completely rust free 79.......had it undercoated at Ziebarts immediately and still have a couple of areas of small surface rust........the springs are wasted as are the bolts holding them in.........best thing to do is buy a winter driver (an old already rusted 4x4) and park your nice rig inside the garage. No other way around it, the rust will find you........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Try Rustoleum on every square inch possible! There is a electronic device that you can buy from JC Whitney that is supposed to keep the metal from rusting. I've got a friend from Buffalo with a F**d Ranger. He has one of them on it and it doesn't have a speck of rust on it. The thing looks brand new.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

6. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

My current address is in Beautiful, Sunny, Dry, and warm, (even today it's like 55 degrees out), Las Cruces, NM. Yes, Las Cruces, NM. 45 min from where they play the SUN BOWL, in El Paso. It's my understanding that I'm moving from one armpit of the country to the other. lol

What's with all the pessimism? I WILL drive my truck because it's my favorite thing to do, and there HAS to be a way to work around this dilemma. Like I said, I JUST freakin fixed the floor because of the rust that was there. It WILL NOT be nearly as easy, or fun, (HAHA, it sucked!!), the next time I have to do it. I fixed it so I'd never have to worry about it again. That new metal IS IN THERE!!

Anyways, what is that deal you're talking about from JCWhitney and how long has your friend had the truck in Buffalo. How much does that device cost? Do you think that just a good, thorough cleaning and hose down with about 100 bucks worth of spray paint would work or do I need pop for a Herculiner and a lot of seam sealer? I'm sure that the "device" would just add to the protection.

Thanks for all the replies, I just need to do it before next weekend. SH!T!!

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

"Whats with all the Pessimism". Thats hillarious!!! Thanks for the laugh!!! You'll find out. Armpit is a good description. By the way I'm talking about the weather and what it does...to autos and people. Not, I repeat not the fine people up there. They are not like us New Yorkers from the southern end. They are more like really nice midwesterners. They are always very respectful and eager to lend a hand...........poor folks........only 4 and a half more months until the sun comes out....js

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just a couple of comments.......

1. Harry, I don't think aluminum rusts......My work truck has aluminum bins that have seen massive amounts of road salt for the past 8 winters and don't have one speck of rust on them. On the other hand, the steel body that the bins are mounted to is in relatively rough shape rust wise. One other thing- have you ever seen a rusty beer can? I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

2. Our highway crews use salt on the roads and highways from the end of September to the end of April. I just did the body and paint this summer, and my truck is 18 years old. It had some peforation on the rockers, and surface rust was evident in other places, but overall, the truck was in pretty decent shape. I've always made a point of cleaning the body and undercarriage on a regular basis to wash the salt off. Maybe you guys south of the border use a different kind or strength of salt, but I truly believe if you keep your truck washed, the salt shouldn't be a HUGE worry.

9. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

A friend of mine sprays used motor oil under his truck and does it again when it drys up. He puts it on and then drives down a dusty road to seal it all up good. He is a little wacky but it seems to work. My Blazer gets winterized and sits in the garage all winter intil I feel it has rained enough to wash the salt away off the roads. Then the Big Rig comes out. Only when it is not raining though.:) Water and old Chevys don`t mix well it seems. Especially salty water. One thing you can do though is only drive it when the roads are dry during the winter. That seems to work OK.

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

What I do is on the fist day above freezing is go to a coin op car wash. Spray down complete underside of truck with just water. Maybe buy small can of por15 and paint over any seams.

11. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Underlining can also speed up rust. If your frame has started to rust you will just cover it upp. The rust is still there eating at your frame, only now you cant see it until it's to late.
    To neutralize it you can spray some sort of zink mixed with water but you wont get it 100% that way either.

If you have a concrete step, or something simular this is what will get you trough those winther days: Every week or as often as you can drive the truck upp on a angle so you can power-wash the underside of the fenders and frame. Just clean water and a half hour every week. This way will get the salt out of there and have some contoll with what's going on with everything. Underlining chips when rocks hit it. That opens upp a nice place for rust to form without you noticing it.
    Then every spring do a touch upp of the stone-chips and whatever small spots to keep the problem under controll.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

12. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Living out in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean where if the salt spray doesn't get your vehicle; the tons of road salt will, I have seen lots of rust.
    My approach when I do my frame-off this winter will be to have the complete underside and interior from the dash to tailgate and up to the undersides of the bedrails coated in Rhino lining. I'll be doing my frame in POR 15 and I HOPE that will be the end of my salt worries for a long while!!!
    In the meantime, my 89 is in excellent shape for the number of years in the salt it's seen. The only rust is the floor pans in front and a front fender in the wheelwell.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

CanmoreK5, you're right, aluminum doesn't rust. It corrodes. Salt eats it right up. However, there are aluminum alloys that are quite resistant to the corrosion. Aluminum that's been anodized is very corrosion resistant as long as the anodized surface doesn't get scratched. Your aluminum truck panels have probably been clear anodized. This gives a nice shiny appearance and keeps it looking shiny much longer than just polishing would. It's applied by an electro-chemical bath that creates a strong surface coating. It can also be colored with different pigments. An excellent example of anodized aluminum is a Mag-Lite flashlight. The body of them is anodized and comes in black, blue or red. It's tough stuff.

Take a look under the hood of a vehicle in the salt belt that has cast aluminum accessory brackets for the alternator and such. They get gray and crusty looking pretty quickly and the surface is crumbly. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

14. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey BUDDY, what I'm talking about is this device that mounts under the hood of your truck and has these anodes that attach to the frame at the 4 corners. I don't know how it works, but it seems to do ok. It costs about $180, but I think it is worth it. I'm going to put one on my truck as soon as I get the money. My friend had his Ranger up in Buffalo for about 4 years with one of those devices and it never rusted. Just buy a JC Whitney catalog and look up rust prevention in the index.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

15. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I've always seen this salt thing vs. our rigs as the same way we should see the food vs. our own teeth. Washington had wooden teeth? Bet he didn't brush. If you can't find a daily driver you don't care about. I'd plan on using the technique Espen88k5 describes (he should know!).

Good Luck,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>