Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

salutes?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, Mar 26, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Ok quick question for the mil. guys on board.

are there different kinds of salutes and what do the meen?

i was watching some show a long time a go (I thing JAG) and as some convoy come onto bace (i think with a politician in it)

and the guy a the gate salutes three times.

1st: the standered salute as i know it, hand horazontal to the eyebrow.

2ed: hand at a 45* to the eyebrow, hand flat out.

3ed: 45* like the last but turned so the guy would be looking at his palm, back of his hand facing out.

is one to milatary, one to cavilain and one to some one of office?????

is is jag just f'ed up?

2. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Salutes

As I know it being in the A.F. for 9 years now there are only two types of salutes. The first being the knuckles facing the person to be saluted. This would do to never losing a major war. The other would be the palm facing the person being saluted. My guess (excluding the fact that the show was not accurate) is that the first was a correct salute. The second should prolly be correct but never got it finished or did a sloppy job. The third could have been to a foreign dignitary. Although it could just be really poor saluting on thier parts. I could be wrong about this but as I and several of us sitting know it this way.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The one you are talking about, the salute from the gate personnel, that's some funky thing that they do. It's the saluting to the officer, then the wave for them to drive on through.

As for the different kinds of salutes, with the palm down that we do, and the one's you see from other countries where the palm is shown; I don't know how true it is but it was what was taught was a military that has been defeated shows a little more palm.

Here's some info

And for the really bored

4. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there are different stories as to why we salute with the palm facing ourselves and other countries saluting with the palm out. I've heard it was because a U.S city has never fallen to a foreign army, but who knows...

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah guys dont worry i am not takeing jag as an mojor athority on milatary form or anything.

maybe that is what it was, a palm out then palm in cant remember for sure, dot even remember if it WAS jag or not.

so different salutes for different folx OK

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat what you see on TV too much. "JAG" isn't the worst offender, but TV and movies, in general, are piss-poor guides to anything military. Even with a military advisor on the crew to tell them how things are done, sometimes producers and writers prefer to over-stylize movements, or over-fill a scene with military activities. It's all theatrics...

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Very Interesting...

Its another world in the military I guess--never really thought about all the salutes,and what they mean,and when to use them....makes me wonder who thought up all that stuff,and how can the soldiers remember which one to use,when they have lots of things on their mind--like staying alive...

Around here,the only salute I see is one that only needs one finger--mostly in heavy traffic...:crazy:

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

media always ****s up military stuff. I thought it was hilarious in A Few Good Men how every single marine in GTMO had an expert rifle and expert pistol badge. First of all, most marines there don't qualify with the pistol... second, not all marines ARE expert marksmen. Some are sharpshooters, some marksmen (pizza box!) etc. Anyway, in the movie every swingin' johnson was a double expert. Very cheesy.. and ANY military advisor could have told them so.

Getting back to the subject at hand, when i was in the grunts, you saluted palm down. Palm up was what some fairy in the French navy would do. If you have a rifle in your hands, you salute across it... sorta hard to explain, Im sure there are pics somewhere on the www. Anyway, those clowns that are at gates are always doing all kinds of wacky waving of the arms. I swear, half of those clowns look like they are either trying to signal a low flying aircraft or are doing the cartoon I'm-losing-my-balance-and-about-to-fall-over-backwards thing. Silly.

j

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Funniest example of that I ever saw were the Air Force SP's on the gates at Kadena. Their "come on in" wave looked like something the boys in ZZ Top would do...

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

When I was in The Old Guard we'd go over to the pentagon for some ceremony. Some times it would be delayed for a while as someone was running late. We'd be all dressed up in our Dress Blues. So we'd spread out about 15' to 20' apart and give every officer a good Honor Guard salute. It was funny to see what some of them would do to keep from having to salute 50 or 60 of us. :laugh: :grin: :D ;) :p: :cool1:

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The English way:

[​IMG]

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Just don't ever put any value on anything you see in a movie. There seems to be a lack of military consultants in hollywood. I never realized all the mistakes till I was in the military, but they are endless.

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Roger, wilco, over, and out. Anyone that has worked a military radio will understand. ;) :p: