Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

salvage title questions??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85-m1028, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

what exactly does "salvage title" mean and why does it negatively impact vehicle resale? I'm looking at buying an older suv for the wife and found a good price on one, the ad states that it runs good and is reliable but has a salvage title?

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Run Forest Run.

Salvage title means that some insurance company has deemed that vehicle a total loss as in totalled.. In some states it can never be legally put back on the road, in other states its a PITA. It really depends on WHY it has a salvage title, but in some cases it doesnt matter, itll never be allowed back on the roads. Unless its really what you want and youve exhausted all other options, Id steer clear completely. Itll cost ya more to get a salvage title switched to a normal one, even if your state allows it. Some ppl buy those vehicles for cheap to part out, use for off roading only or switch VINs with another same make and model.

3. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

says it has current tags and plates? ready to go!!

I guess I should call and find out why it is salvage title

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Id call DMV. They may still be running under the OLD registration and when you go to re-title it with the salvage title that is when they hassle begins.

5. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

My 79 blazer has a "salvaged title". When I bought it i had to get a brake and light inspection and have the vin checked at dmv. The insurace company salvaged it for being rear ended. It bent the bumper and put a little dent under the taillight also the tailight was broke. No biggie for me. Just make sure why it has a salvaged title.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Salvage title just means that an insurance company totalled the vehicle usually because the cost to repair out wieghed the cost of the vehicles worth. In most cases with newer cars all it takes is a good hit to a bumper for it to be totalled and classified as salvage title. In California you may still register and drive a salvage titled car, i have one myself right now and there are no issues with selling it or buying one and re-registering it in your name.

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If it has a salvage title there's no problem registering it in most states. The problem occures when the vehicle is considered a total loss and has been rebuilt but not retitled. Once it has been retitled, then it has a salvage title and can be registered again. The title will say salvage right on it. They do this so people will stop buying junk, riging it up and sell it as good. But I would deffinately find out why it was salvaged. Stay away from water damage (in most cases) and unibody cars that had major structural damage IMO anyway. Stolen recoveries are titled as salvage alot of the time. So just cause it has a salvage title doesn't even mean it has been wrecked.

8. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

anybody know what states are bad for titling salvage vehicles? my 74 was purchased in CA with a salvage title years ago, and I will be titling it in CO soon. Thanks.

9. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

I bought a 97 wrangler 5-6 years ago with a salvage title. It was a theft recovery, stolen doors and hard top as well as radio and air bags. I bought it straight from the junkyard, no problem at all getting it titled here in Indiana.

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Financing may be a problem also some insurance companies won't insure on a salvage title.

Icehouse in Colorado to title a vehicle with a salvage title you will have to make the vehicle roadworthy, ie good glass, tires, all lights working, parking brake, horn. Normal equipment. A certified vin inspection is required for $20.00. You take that form to the Department of motor vehicles and you are on your way. You also will have to have a statement of fact form filled out for the inspection and show any reciepts for parts that were used to make the vehicle roadworthy.

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

A salvage title in Ca is no big deal. My Blazer has one due to it being donated for tax purposes. The Auction evidentally went through a dismantler and thus the salvage title. I had a brake and light inspection and was good to go. I dont even think DMV checked the VIN. The only thing I would do if you are considering buying something with a salvge tag is make sure it tracks straight down the road, check the gaps in the doors and fenders, and put a magnet on the quarters to get an idea how bad the damage was. then beat the sales man big time in his pocket for the title being a salvage;) .

12. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, my '85 K10 is a salvage title as well...I've never had any problems doing anything with it though.

-Avery

13. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

u have owned and a friend rebuilds salvage vehicles. You can have the certified "rebuilt salvage" branded too. I wouldn't worry about it much. Resale might be hard because the word salvage scares people away is all

14. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 87 is a salvage. After I did the good ol car fax on it it I found out it was salvaged 2x. Both times it was in a front end wreck. You would never know by looking at it and it drives straighter than the wifes car does on the highway. Well I cant get the damn hood to line up sence I took it off to re-place the motor mounts but so far that has been the only problem with it sence I got it other then breaking axel shafts but thats a diffrent story.

15. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

70jimmy,
    Are you saying that an inspection is required for a title transfer from out of state to in state, or is this only when you buy a vehicle from the junkyard or insurance company that has been totaled? California has already given my 74 a salvage title. I wonder if I will still need to have it inspected. Hopefully not since I will be using a hydraulic e-brake.