Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Salvage yard motors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Jul 31, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I think I'm at the end of my rope and gonna have to buy a motor from a salvage yard. If I buy one with all the accessories still attached to it (AC, PS pump, alt, etc) will those all work? It'd be kinda nice to have AC again, and the serpentine belt system on the newer Vortec motors.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depends on the yard. Some strip down to just the engine and they sell the accesssories. Place I deal with just cuts the hoses and harness and pulls. You get it all. Last one I bought Had a 8month old A/C compressor on it. The engine was a Crate with an estimated 10k on it. Sold the Carb for $100, Used the Power steering pump to replace a bad one and it had a 110 Amp alternator on it. Got it for $850. so after selling the carb I had $750 in it and plenty of spare parts that have saved me some cash. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. rockbiter

rockbiter Registered Member

try this company...http://www.hi-wayautoparts.com/
    talk to Stacy... he is a good guy and will work with you..they get newer model trucks in all the time...vortec 350's are abundant with them and they will sell you a complete pull vortec..comes with everything, wiring harness, computer, all accessories for $1000 bucks or less..and usually he will call and tell you what just came in and if you want it...usually under 60k on mileage..
    they are in Brownwood, TX and will ship cheap..

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I think I speak for a good chunk of the people her.....THANK YOU!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif