Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Salvage Yard Suggestions for Oregon/S. WA

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 11, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i started looking into getting a replacement 10b for my truck, and called all the u-pull-it places around the Portland area. The lowest price I found was $135 - which seems a bit high considering all I've read here at CK5. Anybody know of a salvage yard around these parts that goes cheaper? I've called all the places I can find - but maybe I don't know how to look. :) thanks.

colbystephens.
    p.s. i'd be happy to take your axle(s) instead. ;)

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

In the new nickle ads there is a 91 K5 being parted out, ya may be able to get it for $50 or so.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The # to call is 503 319 7448, the add says it has a 6" lift too.

4. colbystephens

i appreciate the tip!

colbystephens

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Prices going up here too..

I used to be able to buy a 10 bolt or similar axle for 75-100 bucks here anywhere..but now since scrap prices shot up,so have the prices for parts,(they get 150-200 now!)--reason why is twofold..they can get nearly as much tossing it to the crusher as selling it to a customer--and because they are crushing 90% of the older trucks like ours now,there isn't many to choose from like there used to be..so their attitude is buy it now,or watch it get crushed..don't like the price?? too bad!.. :doah:

One yard I go to a lot had over 75 GM trucks (K5' and pickups from 73-90)..now the last time I went there,they had only about 10 left! :eek1: --and those were ones boxed in by many other vehicles no parts could be easily stripped from.,or they were already picked clean! :doah: ..its going to be VERY hard finding any older stuff in junkyards from now on,at least in this area anyway..nobody's keeping any older stuff anymore.. :( ..and any parts you DO find will be sold at top dollar now.. :crazy:

6. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

7. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i know its not a junk yard and its more than $150 but they are new 10bolts from a military surplus store they also have hoods and other funs stuff
    here
    $400 is less than you would pay to rebuild one definately worth looking at the site several cool things

balzer

8. colbystephens

so i got a hold of that dude from the nickle ads - he wants $250 for the rearend. i think i'll pass. i found a deal for a newly rebuilt 10bolt w/ 3.08, new seals and an auburn locker for $200. based on my circumstances, i think that's probably the best way to go.

colbystephens