Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Same ol tires with 10 bolt question but need insight on a differen't view.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Jun 25, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Same ol tires with 10 bolt question but need insight on a differen\'t view.

Ok.. right now I'm running 35's and 3/4 ton axles. I really don't have $1k to sink into a D60 so I want to make the best of my situation. I want to move up to 38's and put a detroit in the rear. Now here is the question.

If I put a detroit in the rear would it decrease the stress on the front axle at all? The reason I'm asking is it seems like it would. If my rear axle is pushing twice as hard it seems like the front would have to do less work. The places I wheel I can make through with open axles although it does take a little work. I'm just wondering if adding a detroit would be enough of a performance boost that the front axle wouldn't have to struggle like it did with open axles.

Any thoughts?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Same ol tires with 10 bolt question but need insight on a differen\'t view.

Just keep the front open. Having the rear locked means way less wheelspin to get over or through stuff so yes it would be easier on the front too. My truck is welded rear and open D44 front with 36's...I haven't broke anything in the D44 yet. I find I'm able to crawl over obstacles with a lot more control now, where before I'd have to use more momentum and skinny pedal.

I'd also take spare 10 bolt parts with me anyways...

Rene

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes it will help and like rene said keep the front open if you lock the front with 38's you will start breaking things /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif but with it open you should be ok unless you are using lots of the skiny pedal /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Nah... no plan to lock the front... still my daily driver.

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you lock the front you will have some creative handling in the ice. As for decreased stress on the front, yeah it should some. I have a detroit locker in the rear and consider it to be the best mod on my truck, when I first got it I was going places is 2wd where the big guys were couldn't. Now I have the lift and tires and I can go just about wherever the nose is pointed.