Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Same problem different approach!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Mar 23, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

As you all may have read in the runs like crap when warm post.... Here is the latest......

I have installed the headers, heated O2, new CAT, Fuel Pump, Fuel filter, plugs....yada yada yada.

Here is my thinking... While in park or neutral the engine sounds mean, no problems with missing or hesitation what so ever. But once you get in gear and give here some "skinny" pedal, its hesitating, studdering, shifting late and hard one time and early and soft the next, and NO downshifts (part or full throttle)

Observations: I think they sold me the wrong TV cable for one. If I adjust it out to make more pressure and open the throttle linkage all the way out the TV cable jumps right back to where I was adjusting it "from". So in anticipation, I am pretty sure and hoping like hell the correct cable will solve 75% or more of my problems. But Im starting to wonder how much the "serious" lack of back pressure and the under stock stall of the RV/Tow Torque Convertor have to play in all this? Seems like the TC is locking in before the motor has established its normal RPM range and is causing some of the problems like shuddering and hesitation and serious lack of power. Please give me some miracle advise here. Im drawing empty straws here and empty check book. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hello!!! You all out to lunch or what?

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think you have a Back pressure problem or a convertor lock up problem.
    I'm running Edelbrock headers(Very similar to your Thorleys) 3" pipe No cat, into flowmaster muff I gained a lot of power on the low end with this set up. My stock 1 wire O2 sensor(un heated) works fine. It is in the stock location like Yours.So I dont believe you have a lack of backpressure or 02 problem.

The torque convertor lockup is controled by the computer electronically. It uses input from the VSS to deermin vehicle speed and usually wont lock up under 40 mph Assuming your spedo is right on.
    So having a RV/towing convertor has no effect on when the lockup occures.
    It sounds like you do have a bad TV cable. It should stay where it locks in at. it should not pop back to another position.
    Check the button you have to push to adjust it is it poping out all the way when you release it? Maby it is not enguaging the cable fully and allowing it to move. The TV cable bady out of adjustment can cause a shuddering, It controlles how much pressure is applyed to the clutches/bands. If there is not enough pressure things will slip and chatter.
    A properly adjusted 700 should shift smoothly and have fairly soft shifts. It should be adjusted so the TV cable is pulled out all the way at full throttle.You should not use the TV cable to adjust shift points. Shift points are changed by putting lighter / heaver springs in the governer.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

yeah, Im getting a new cable Monday adn gonna try that out before I do anything else.