Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Samll powdercoating question???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jun 4, 2005.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yep, eastwood. I got http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=460&iProductID=412 that gun. Its really cool to do, just be sure you have the surface cleaned really well(sandblasted), or it will bubble and look crappy.

The gun comes with a solid disk at the end, but I much prefer this tip http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=259&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=462&iProductID=259 when Im working, cause you can direct spray and not have to side spray and waste alot of powder.

Just a note that you cannot use your home oven for this. You have to have a separate oven for powder coating. My uncle was remodelling his kitchen so I nabbed his old oven, mounted it on a cheap harbor freight roll around cart, and I am a powdercoating fool lol.

A half a pound of powder, without spraying in a reusable area(For small stuff I built a spray booth out of half a dozen cardboard boxes so I can reuse powder I spray, just cant fit big stuff in), it will only do a set of valve covers, maybe a little more. If its a reusable area, then you could probably do 2 sets.

When it comes to colors, eastwoods 'textured' colors are really easy to do and look sweet. Silver vein is the best color ever, thats what all my accesory brackets, motor mounts, etc are done in.

Its a really cool thing to have, Ive made a few bucks coating stuff for friends. Any questions just ask. Chris.

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If it is small enough to take in and out of work i just give it to the lead person on that line at work. Only can get black or gold. :grin: maybe just black since not doing wheels no more.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It is really small, too bad your not local, or I'd hit you up.... :crazy:

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

No powdercoating your wang...

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It is penis shaped.... :blush:

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have the eastwood kit too, and have coated probably in excess or 100+ items sofar. its a great and easy system to use. i picked up a oven at a yard sale, it was onle 3 yrs old. people selling it were buying a house that had a brand new one allready there. a 450 doller oven for 175.00. ive done a 15 by 8 rim in my oven but it was tough cause it had only about 1/4 to maybe 3/8 on each side for clearence. made it hard to get in the oven with out bumping the powder off, but i got them done and they came out very nice. did them in the bright yellow and made some money off them too.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

got four old modular wheels at work powdercoated black. Did not know the little allen bolt looking things were plastic of some sort. Needless to say they melted when they went through the two ovens. I still don't know the difference between powder coating and electra coating but the frames go through both and the e coat is not as thick as the powder coat. But my drop reciver hitch is going through tomorrow that i just got done making. Still don't know how i want to make my front bumper but want it to be able to hold the winch i will one day afford.