Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

San Francisco Handgun Ban

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Nov 9, 2005.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

WTF,, are these people insane???

Quoted From Yahoo's news page,,,

"The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses."

"current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April."
    YEAH RIGHT !!!!!

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I hope somebody takes that to court! That's an outright infringement on those gun owners Second Amendment rights!!!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wasn't that overturned or defeated or something? I had heard about it several months ago, I think here on CK5, but then heard an update that it wasn't happening because it violated several existing laws or something like that...

I've been really slipping on my details lately...

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Unfortunately, its for real this time. Thankfully the NRA's going to fight it.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

What, are you crazy. Don't you know the crime rate's gonna go WAAAAAYYYY down due to this. I mean, come one, it's not like the criminals are gonna ignore the April 1 gun surrender right?

It's all those normal Joe's like you and me with a gun in the closet at home that are a risk to the populace, wake up!

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I keep telling myself that California can't be as bad as I think it is, but they never fail to prove me wrong. :rolleyes:

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Well, the biggest thing we need to do of course, as private citizens, is to make sure California's influence on this doesn't spread. California's extremist, anti-America liberals are going to have to literally KILL me to silence my loud, coservative, hate-of-liberals voice.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yet another to to turn down that job offer I got this A.M.

10. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

It'll never work. As of now it's still a constitutional right. They'd have to federally ban them. Like the fully automatic firearms.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

San Francisco Voters Approve Handgun Ban

By LOUISE CHU
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, November 9, 2005; 6:27 AM

SAN FRANCISCO -- Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.
    Only two other major U.S. cities _ Washington and Chicago _ have implemented such sweeping handgun bans.

With all precincts reporting early Wednesday, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.

Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April.

A coalition led by the National Rifle Association has said it plans to challenge the initiative in court, arguing that cities do not have the authority to regulate firearms under California law.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

The measure, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

It encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, an activist for the proposition.

Link.

12. cbbr

13. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hate my state. :mad: I never uderstood the thinking behind all this because most of the states with more gun laws tend to have HIGHER crime rates. I myself own a bunch of guns and will never give them up no mater what law they pass. It seems they pass these laws as a kind of band aid because they dont want to spend the money on the real problems.

14. cbbr

Is there a mandatory registration for guns in Ca.?

15. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Just last night my wife said "what do you think about moving to northern california?"....my reply: "not a chance."...

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes

17. cbbr

I was wondering how the state or city would know that you had firearms. That sucks. In La. there is no registration, so you could just put them in the closet.

18. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

True Dat,,,,

Our rights are being chiseled away slowly but surely,,,,people had better start to take this seriously,,

As for gun registration,,this is just a way for the goverment to know what you own and come knocking on your door,,,legal owners of guns will be the only people threatened,,,

I'm sure you local crackheads and gangbangers will register thier Tec 9's etc,,, :doah: :doah: :doah:

19. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, I didn't hear this. Are you sure it's "for real"? I'll claim ignorance when they come for my piece!

My cussin lives in the Bay Area as well and keeps up on all the gun stuff. I can't imagine he missed this.

To answer the fist post, "Are we all crazy in S.F.?"

Yes

Eric M.

20. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

You're preachin' to the choir brother :wink1: I'm with you 100%...Call it being mis-informed, call it denial, but I just cant see this "law" sticking.