Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

San Francisco police suspended over video sketch

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Dec 9, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - San Francisco is suspending 20 police officers who participated in video sketches portraying police ogling women, ducking emergency calls and going to a massage parlor on duty.
    But the lawyer for the officer who produced the tape said that it had been intended as a parody and that officials had overreacted to an attempt at edgy humor and "social commentary."

Attorney Daniel Horowitz said on Thursday the San Francisco Police Department should expect a lawsuit if it did not reverse course on the suspension of officer Andrew Cohen, who made the videos.
    Mayor Gavin Newsom called the tape, which had been prepared for a Christmas party and leaked on the Internet, offensive, sexist, homophobic and racist.

Newsom urged investigations by the city's human rights commission and a second city commission on the status of women.

Police Chief Heather Fong said on Wednesday, when the suspensions were announced, that the public release of the videos marked "a dark day" for the San Francisco police department.

The skits portray officers in the predominantly black Bayview-Hunters Point district as unresponsive to emergency calls but eager to make drug busts. The skits also portray male officers as sex obsessed.

One skit has officers going to a massage parlor while on duty.

But Horowitz defended the videos as a form of "social commentary" and said Fong's reaction showed how out of touch she was with rank-and-file officers.

"She wants everybody to think this is a happy police force and it's not," said Horowitz. "They feel very resentful."

Newsom appointed Fong, the first Asian woman to head a major U.S. police force, in January 2004.
    She assumed office in the wake of the police department's "Fajitagate" scandal in which top officers were accused of covering up a street brawl over fajitas outside a bar. The fight involved a son of the former police chief.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've seen bits of the video on the Internet. I'm currently refraining from making commentary on it or the monkey poop leadership of San Francisco in general.........................:D

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah the would not be nice of You to speak out against Your Brothers I mean Sisters or what ever the fock they are in arms.
    :D :D

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sounds like they have some pent up emotional issues and just need to be hugged. :rolleyes:

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

The SF Mayor and PD Chief need to unwind their undies and lighten up a bit.......

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

this stuff was commonplace before all the pc crap took over...
    now... well now it will get you hung out to dry... they will make an example out of these coppers... no doubt about it....

As social commentary... you take police officers,,, generally drawn from the "middle-road" of society and then have them do their job in a weird place with gay trans gender liberal pukes (ask me again how I feel....) and then you expect them to put all their mores, reigious beliefs, common sense beside so as to "deal effectively with the needs and desires of their community" and its no wonder we see "police humor" come out....

I guess its ok to have a gay pride parade and have all the weirdos dress up like cops and bend over and lip lock each other... but turn that around and its bam.. you suspended and outta here... yea,,, now thats a dpartment I would want to work for... the chief speaks english as HER second language....

Kalifornia.... what can i say

cam

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Well, when they start having officers burning out completely from the stress of having no other way to deal with working in that weird city (not being able to really do anything "fun" to release), they can tell them why and then they're police force's quality can go down because of it.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

And you know the focked up leadership of San Francisco won't allow that to happen either. They'd probably condemn that too.

9. gauder

gauder Banned

More pc bull****. I am becoming very resentful of all this political correctness being crammed down my gullet. I am now the worst thing in the world to be, (a young, white, male, catholic).

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've got strong feelings about this whole subject.

LEO's are just regular people like you and me but they are held to unrealisticly high standards. They are expected to display Superhero qualities 24/7 while absorbing the worst that humanity has to offer. I honestly don't know how they cope, like I've said before they must have humor, strength of character, and dedication to last for any length of time. Maybe the SF guys deserve a reprimand for bad judgement but I'd be hard pressed to hand it out over a video tape.

To me that line of work would be like the movie Groundhog Day. Your locked into the same repetetive babysitting nightmare every time you get up.

Now what should happen: The people that those Leos helped & saved over the years should step forward and defend them. The public should give back a modicum of support and show those guys how much they are appreciated. The police have a duty to protect the public but the public also has a responsibility to support their police. My impression is that most people feel no sense of responsibility whatsoever to their own police force and view Leo's as manic depressives, "They just need a hug" mentality. What they need is some solid unwavering public support. Imagine how things would be different if a bunch of SF locals told reporters their police were good guys. Gee, what would the news say then?

Here's my response to the unappreciative portion of our US populace - next time you need help call your Momma.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

link????? :D

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Dude, they'd just have to run over to the Castro district...although I think the hugs would involve some ass-grabbing...

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=4216830&nav=5D7l

Links on the left side. If this is what everyone is so bent out of shape about, I hope no one snaps their fingers around them, they may just snap.........

16. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just watched the entire sequence. People are losing jobs over this?

Un...****ing...real. I was expecting to see videos eleventeen billion times more racist and biased.

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

That's why I'm saying in the future I'm afraid San Fran's going to have to start dealing with cases of cops totally losing it because they can't even do something that mild, or have any kind of fun whatsoever.

18. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Geez it's nice to see our elected officials taking care of what's really important. I cant even watch the news any more, first the dog's now this bah. Maybe someone should start a petition to help ge them reinstated?

19. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was a big fan of the "lady's man" skit. Anybody else have favorites?

20. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

thought it was kinda funny when one cop checks his gut before approaching the car:D