Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sand blasting media Q/...EZ off-oven cleaner Q...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 15, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I am starting to look for parts I need to sandblast my project blazer. I am getting Aluminum Oxide (50LBS) to get all the rust and grime off the frame, then I was thinking walnut shells for the tranny/transfer case.(MAYBE 50 LBS) What would I use for axles? If you have a different suggestion please tell me. I don't have any place local so I have to get it off the internet.
    I will be getting the media from eastwood.com
    Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Re: Sand blasting media Q/...

I used sylica(sp) sand on my frame. It's been months since I did it but I think I used over 200 pounds. Probably closer to double that. My local lumber yard has it in house. $8- #100 In my opinion the media you are planning on using is way to expensive for the frame. Make some calls local and try to find some other options, shipping will kill you /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif espesially shipping to Canada...

As for the trans and t-case the walnut shells would probably work very well, just make sure the cases are clean of grease and oil first. Remember the media will get Everywhere even if you seal these cases I'd be willing to bet there will be media inside after your done. Just somthing to think about. I used a wire brush on my 4" Makita for my axles, cheap and easy. Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What else could I use to get the tranny/t-case cleaned right to bare metal? I don't want to risk getting the internals all messed up.
    Sylica sand? Is that 8$ per 100 pounds? Thats probably best then, especially if you said you used over 200 pounds for yours. The aluminum oxide I was going to get is almost 50 dollars per 50 pounds /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Will the sylica sand work for the axles too? I will also use a wire brush too.
    One more question, is it Oven Cleaner that works good on getting the oil, etc off the frame and axles? Thanks

4. Stomper

[ QUOTE ]
    What else could I use to get the tranny/t-case cleaned right to bare metal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wire brush, elbow grease /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif On my 203 gear box I used sylica but I stripped it down to an empty case.

[ QUOTE ]

Sylica sand? Is that 8$ per 100 pounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[ QUOTE ]
    Will the sylica sand work for the axles too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no....You still take the chance of filling your axle with sand....not good /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    One more question, is it Oven Cleaner that works good on getting the oil, etc off the frame and axles?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is EZ Off...I've never used it so mabey someone else will chime in. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I'll wirebrush the tranny/t-case.

I don't want sand inside my axles! so I will wirewheel the axles.

And I will call the lumberyard places tomorrow and see if they have any sylica sand. (Do they come in bags, or how do they come?)

Then, if nobody chimes in about the EZ off oven cleaner I will make a new thread /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Stomper

ya, they come in 100 pound bags....better start lifting weights /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

eeek. I hope I'll survive. Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will EZ off-oven cleaner, clean the dirt and oil off my frame? Can I use it on my tranny/t-case and axles too? Is there anything I should be aware of before using, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. crowley

crowley Registered Member

oh boy will it ever!
    i used a can on my front axle housing and as i was wiping it off i was shocked that it was a dull raw metal, it literally ate everything!
    it wouldnt hurt to hit the axle with a presure washer first to remove the big stuff tho

10. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

If you use silica sand, be sure to get a respirator (I don't trust the dust masks). That stuff is bad for your lungs. Oh, and it gets everywhere.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where can I get the proper resperator? I don;t care about it getting everywhere, it will be in the backyard ontop of the dirt.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you should be able to get a resperator no more that 25 bucks at a hardware store. here the sand is $4 for 80lbs /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

if you can do it on concrete, blacktop, etc you can sweep it up and reuse it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif saves money. just remember to use a screen to get out the chunks. i use a window screen /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hey have you check to see it there is a princess auto out there yet? they have media ans sand blasting stuff cheap!

i would not cheap out on a resparator, you get what you pay for, this is mine i got for free from my last job /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

you can get them at safty suply stores full face is about 120 and a half face about 60 70 bucks there your getting quality, i don't like some el cheapo versions companys put out for homedepo shoper

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I get sand at wal-mart or home depot for 3 bucks a bag--its labelled as "play sand"--intended for kids sandboxes--seems to work pretty good,50 lb.bags.I tried being cheap and usind sand swept from the street in front of my house--but you have to sift out the pebbles and other junk so it wont clog,and its usually wet,and its a pain to dry it out.I tried beach sand from a beach near Plymouth mass--bad idea! Salty sand is great for making more rust than you removed--the paint falls right off after a few months,with a healthy dose of salt induced rust undr it--it seems like the salt goes right into the pores of the metal,where they do the most damage! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    You may want to make some kind of "tent" or similar thing to do your blasting in--my neighbors are pretty anal about the clouds of dust settling on their new trucks and cars--one threatened to sue me--I told him I would stop doing it out in the open and made a "greenhouse"PVC pipe tent to do my sandblasting in--also told them to never drive that truck,all the sand in he street will ruin it! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif-- like a little dust was going to hurt it from 300 feet away! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Darkshadow, we don't have a princess auto here. I doubt I will beable to find a resperator locally. I;m in a jam again /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I will be sandblasting over top of a tarp, so I can reuse as much as possible, then the rest I will just dump on the dirt. I will probably put up some type of wall so I don't get sand in the pool, and in the neighboors yard /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Does anyone know of a website I can look at resperators specifically for sandblasting? All I can find is ones for sanding and painting /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah when I first started sand blasting I tried to use play sand but it clogged all of the fittings in the system. I even sifted it out first with some very fine screen. Then I found out that Northern Tool and Equipment Co. carries 50 IB bags of the stuff for 3 bucks. Just as much as I was paying for play sand. LOL Anyways, yeah the stuff works awesome and is called black diamond, which I use for everything. Stripps rust off of metal like nothing.

Remington

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Does anyone know where I can get the proper resperator online?
    Can I use the EZ-off oven cleaner on my frame to get dirt and oil etc off? Can I use it on axles and tranny/t-cases? Thanks

18. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

DON'T use oven cleaner on aluminum! It will oxidize it in a most nasty way. Also, don't get it on your paint, it'll eat that too. Oh, and your skin.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What can I use on the tranny-tcase then? Just a wirebrush I guess...

But I can use it on my frame and axles though?

20. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you use the oven cleaner, just make sure you wash all of the residue off, and you should be fine using it on your frame and axles. If you don't wash it off, paint won't stick to your frame correctly, and it can cause rust problems.