Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sand blasting sand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud?, Apr 20, 2002.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

thinking bout going out and buying a compressor and one of them them sand blasting kit's at sears..where do you get the sand? is it anything special?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was told not to use normal sand in mine, but I did anyhow and it works... but clogs frequently with mud (even with a moisture catch at both ends of the air hose).

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Buy it by the bag (50lbs) . Get the kiln dried. That way you won't have any clogging problems. I'm sure it's cheaper to buy a truck load, but the bags are easier to store, and you dont have junk getting in the sand

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Any home depot would have it, you can also buy some made from walnut shells, and other types of media if sand bugs you. Be careful about getting too fine a sand also, it'll take forever to strip whatever you're workin on.

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

i use glass beads in my blast cabinet. i have noticed many warnings on using silica sand when blasting, its terrible on the lungs. make sure you dont skimp on respirators and eye protection, i mean its only your life.

I've tried play sand from hardware stores years ago but ran into problems with moisture in the sand and my cheap gravity feed unit. if i were to get another one it would be a pressure pot unit.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Home Depot......all purpose sand.....medium grit.......That IS the stuff to get.

John

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I get mine from the lumber yard. It's fine grit and comes in 50 lbs. bags.
    I use a pressure pot also. You don't want to use a gravity-fed type for large jobs, as that will take forever to do.

You want to do the blasting on a warm or hot day with no humidity. Humidity is the reason for clogging the lines and pot. You need to have hot dry weather to make the blaster work properly.

Also, do not reuse the sand once you have blasted parts. The sand will have anything you blasted, like paint chips, rust, oil, grease, etc. on it and they are larger than the sand grains and will clog the lines. You will spend more time cleaning and unclogging lines than blasting if you reuse the sand. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

how much do these pressure pot's cost? no humidity in michigan...I wish..LOL

9. thatK30guy

You can get them in 100 lbs. sizes, which means they hold 100 lbs. of sand.

Eastwood sells them. Harbor Freight has them.

The one I want to get is from Eastwood. I have used one from them before and love it. Very easy to use. Only thing is, they cost around $350. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Eastwood has a web site, but not sure of the address. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

350 BUCKS?/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. thatK30guy

Yeah, for the one from Eastwood. It's pretty nice and works real good.
    Sometimes you need to spend the money to have a good reliable product.

The cheaper route would be to rent one, if you can find someone who has one.

Another route to go: find a blasting company that will do it for you. I have seen and heard of people taking their parts to a shop not far from me and they blast whatever the customer brings them for $1 per minute.

12. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I got mine from Home Depot, just a cheap gravity feed unit. the sand also from h.d. Its called Black Magnum, really coarse stuff, worked good, did it in the winter, and i am in michigan.

13. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any experience with baking soda blasting? I heard it works great and won't eat up rubber or glass. Where would you get that much baking soda anyway?