Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sand winch point

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Nov 12, 2003.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Years ago, in either one of my Sand magazines (probably Sand Sport, now defunct I believe) or one of my ATV magazines there was this thing that you stuck in the sand to use as a winch point. It folded up into something about 2'x2'x2'. How it worked was kind of like a furrow plow. You buried it into the sand a little bit then hooked up the winch. The harder you pull on it with the winch the deeper it buries itself in the sand.

Anyone see one of these recently? I'd like some plans for one. I'm planning on running Silver Lake next year and it'll be with my truck instead of my quad (bury the quad with the paddles and I just pick it up and move it).

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can buy one, its called a Pull-Pal. Lot's of offroad places sell them.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

4. CyberSniper

Yeah, I've seen those. They are similar but not quite the same thing

The thing I'm talking about looks like a furrow plow.

I'm sure one of the many guys here that like to play on Pismo and Glamis know what I'm talking about. I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't still make them. If not, there is money to be had there.

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

OR, you can just be old school and bury a tire in the ground, pack it in, winch it; and pray that it holds and that it doesn't come flying out of the sand like a giant sandworm.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol! yep, the ol buried tire move. classic. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't understand why the pull-pal won't work? It folds, and can be used in sand or anywhere else /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pull Pal

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yikes! I looked at the page and was checking out prices, and thinking that they were really affordable. Then I realized I was looking at shipping prices. $500 for the big one + shipping? That's only $50 less than my 12000lb winch. Ouch!
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i hang out at pismo, i dont have any idea what your talking about /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. sounds cool thou, let me know if you find it. for me the price is the only turn off of the pull-pal. other wise i would get one.

10. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Check out West Marine. Look at BIG boat anchors.
    There cheap and just might work... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a big boat anchor thats gonna come flying out of the ground at high speed and crash through your windshield might not be the best idea. lol. Id stick with stuff that was designed as a winch point or go with the tire... atleast it isnt nearly as dangerous as a missile.

j

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

ANyone ever thought about using steel T fence posts.

I've driven thousands of them, if you drove maybe 3 or 5 in in a staggered pattern angled away from your truck with only a foot above ground, and then used a chain or strap to distribute the weight, maybe that would work.

I'll try it later on

You could yank it up with the high lift

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Only issue with that would be rigging it. If you have the parts to do it I think it'd work well.

A Danforth anchor is what you're talking about. They are designed to be anchors on muddy/sandy bottoms. No reason why you couldn't use an appropriately sized one as a winch anchor. They're heavy though.

Buried tire: My dad has a varient I've not seen mentioned much. He sets the tire on the surface, then drives something like the highlift handle thru the cneter hole at an extreme angle away from the stuck vehicle. Lay the cable across the top of the tire and clip it to the handle below the hole. Winching pulls down on the tire, loading it into the sand. This works best with lots of cable oout, but don't pull too close to the tire.

14. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I run at Pismo and Glamis all the time...my secret is building your truck up enough to where it cannot get stuck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. CyberSniper

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I run at Pismo and Glamis all the time...my secret is building your truck up enough to where it cannot get stuck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's impossible. If you don't get stuck, you didn't go wheelin.

17. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

pismo is lame, the only time i get stuck is when i break stuff. some wise man once said: "sand is for people who cant negotiate obstacles"

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A wiser man once said, "Sand sucks." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone that doesn't know WTF he's talking about when it comes to wheeling in sand. I used to wheel the hell out of my junk in Pismo but never got stuck. If you have 38"+ tires on a SWB pickup it's near impossible to get high centered, and if you have traction aiding devices in both ends you have to be a real moron to bury it to the point that you can't crawl out.

20. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone that doesn't know WTF he's talking about when it comes to wheeling in sand. I used to wheel the hell out of my junk in Pismo but never got stuck. If you have 38"+ tires on a SWB pickup it's near impossible to get high centered, and if you have traction aiding devices in both ends you have to be a real moron to bury it to the point that you can't crawl out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    exactly, its even hard to get stuck in 2wd at 8 psi at pismo. glamis on the otherhand can mess you up in those huge bowls. i however have never had a problem, its always the bus getting stuck, now me! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif