Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sand with Pro Comp Mudders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gumneck, Jun 11, 2003.

1. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Anyone know how bad Pro Comp Mudders will perform in beach sand. I'd like to see how the 91 Blzr will handle the beach sand on the OuterBanks,NC. I feel like the lugs on these tires will dig four holes from which no one can return. There 33X12.50's on stock rims. I hope to get a some pics up soon for two reasons. 1) You can judge how well/poor I did via Ebay 2) I'd like to know if its stock heighth. I know it doesn't have a body lift as I did put one on my S-10 pickup when I was a fresh pup outta highschool back in 87. Probably more info than you care to read but just lettin you know I'm aware of no body lift. I really know nothin about springs and reverse shackle flips and suspension jazz. Anyway thks for info on the Procomps sand ability or not.
    Tom

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

mud terrains are not your best bet in sand...

3. gumneck

Tks confednek. That's one person who says nay to the sand with ProComp Mudders.

Actually two b/c I basically feel they'll dig too much too. Anyone else with experience?Expertisimo?Advicesimo?Twocentsimo?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

ATs are better in the sand but mud tires do just fine. I guess General Grabber APs in the 12.50 width are the hot ticket in the sand but I don't know. I only had 31x10.50s and never aired them down and they sunk pretty easy.

More important to a tire for sand use is how wide they are. Skinny tires suck in the sand. Air them down to about 12psi and you're good to go.

There are two ways that seem to work getting through the sand.
    1. Floating and momentum.
    2. Sand displacement and momentum.

You'll be practicing the floating method so you need tires that float good. 12.50s will do alright at 30psi but ideally you want the sidewall to bulge and create a cup on the bottom. This will help prevent your tires from becoming pizza cutters and digging down in the sand leaving you hung up on your axles or worse on your frame.

I find that going below 12psi starts promoting bead loss. It's more noticeable on bias ply tires for some reason. I'm not quite sure why.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

air down to 8-10 psi and you will do fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I took them in soft sand (my 31/10.50/15) in my Suburban and had no problems at 42 PSI. Just keep your wheels going and you'll stay on top.

8. gumneck

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Tks for the inputs. My 87 s-10 has allterrains and I've never had to air down with it. Even with regular hiway radials bald to the nuts its always done good in sand. But its light. I'll let y'all know how we come out.
    Tks for thread on ride height. I'll be measuring and post back.
    tks
    Tom

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I took them in soft sand (my 31/10.50/15) in my Suburban and had no problems at 42 PSI. Just keep your wheels going and you'll stay on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how you run sand? I wouldn't be surprised if you made that post from China /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how you run sand? I wouldn't be surprised if you made that post from China /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    no kidding 42psi in the sand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif you must be on hard packed sand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif you obviously have never been in soft sand because if you ran 42 psi you would bury yourself the second you stopped or got on the throttle or tried o climb something /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Blue85

[ QUOTE ]
    in my Suburban and had no problems at 42 PSI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was a typo. You really meant 12psi. This makes sense since most 1/2T subs don't have the high pressure load range D or E tires. I'm not even sure you can get a Pro Comp M/T that will even run well on the street at that high of a pressure. (of course there are always people who think that number on the sidewall is the amount of pressure they are always supposed to run...)

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 35x12.50x15 BFG mud's and they do well in the sand. I go to pismo several times a year.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure that different tread patterns make that huge of a difference in sand, i've had swampers and mt's and don't see much of a difference. The width of the tire and flotation is what gets you around in sand. Paddle tires are where it's at. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif When i have some money, THIS is what i'm getting. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Once i hit the sand i air down to at least 12psi... Usually 8 psi for out in the dunes, i've gone as low as about 5 or 6psi with no problems on 15" rims.
    Going from 32 psi down to 8 psi makes a huge difference.

13. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

When I run the dunes I usually air down to 12 psi, makes a huge difference. You can't run sand with 30 psi, much less 42.

14. 89GMCSuburban

Actually, I do run that when I go to my friends ranch in Floresville. It is some pretty soft sand, but it has a lightly packed base about 7 inches down, but I've never gotten down to it unless I stop and floor it. Definitely drop down the pressure for the beach. The beach is different from a ranch.
    And 31" PC MT's can handle up to 50 PSI....

15. 89GMCSuburban

BTW, the tag on my door says Front - 35 PSI Rear - 42 PSI

16. Blue85

I guess we all have to accept the fact that a sub will need more air than a K5. Since it weighs more, you need more lbs/in^2 for the same contact patch.

But I would give the advice to keep the vehicle moving, not to keep the wheels spinning. That is for mud.

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Air down, no probs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just like everyone else said.

John

18. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

They probably wont be the best there 12.50's wide tires do better in loose dry sand but go anyways(if you dont mind the salty sand) you will still have fun but you will have that motor SCREAMING!!! which make it really fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh yea and dont be affraid to drive in 4WD

19. gumneck

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks for the replies.

Truck ran great. Tires did surprisingly well. Did not air down. I keep 35psi all around. Figured I see how they'd do before gettin out and lettin air out. In the soft run to get to waterfront just kept the rpm's up(no tach so Idont know but the flow exhaust was soundin great) and forward momentum goin steady. 4 high btw. Didn't try stop/start in the soft stuff as had my nervous pregnant wife and no need upsetting that combo. I know they'd done even better with less air so I'm satisfied for now. The 3 year old had a blast driven it too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Tom
    91blzr

20. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

when i was runnin around on 33x12.5x16.5 i never aired down... this was from 1991-1996 and i always got through what i was driving through as far as sand goes..... light throttle when sittin on soft sugar sand at a stand still usually got ya rollin along... then momentum....

but now i have 40" ground hawgs I havent driven the truck since 1997 with these bad boys.. so i dont know how they will do. I was told gh's are awesome in the sand... so i am going to buy new gh's and will check it out... hopefully in 1 year!!!