Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sandblast Cast iron?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've put a new intake on my recent 4.3l V6 rebuild, I have this old intake which is somewhat popular in smog states, because it's the only carb'd 4.3l V6 smog legal intake you and run if you need to have egr, etc and only in '85 & '86 did they offer a carb. I've seen them go for $40-50 on ebay, but I need to clean it up, it's pretty nasty, I don't really want to spend any money on it, I have a nice sandblaster, but not sure if that will harm it or not.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

sandblast it, and thouroughly clean out all passages and holes afterwards.

3. gauder

gauder Banned

Yup, go to town on it. One pice of advice that I was taught is to double tape all gasket mounting surfaces with duct tape. It protects them pretty well.

ps: Because you're fairly close to me, you wouldn't happen to know where I could pick up a front axle for a k5 pretty cheap would you? :waytogo:

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Thanks! I'll be lasting it tommorow!

For your axle, well, mmm, I don't have any to spare, but there's a decent place in Corunna, MI (10mi w. of Flint off I69) called Dad's 4x4 ( (810) 621 3100). Reasonable prices (bought 14bff for $100 perfect running shape except for brakes). You might try them.

5. gauder

gauder Banned

You have been the most helpful so far!!!! Thanks Bro!!!

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

$100 for a 14bff is a really good price, that's what i paid for mine a few years ago, everything still looked fine in it, but i replaced the brakes, hardware, seals and oil just to make sure things were fine, it even had a Gov-Loc in it, which was working fine when i got it, but now slips alittle too much, (have an open carrier for it now though) gonna throw a Detroit in it someday. :D

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Blast away, and clean it well.

When you think it's clean, wash it a couple more times... cast iron really likes to hold onto blasting grit.

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Like gauder said, use duct tape on the gasket srfaces and clean it out real well. I just got done blasting my engine block for powdercaot. I used duct tape and cleaned the oil and water passages real well. So go ahead an blast.

Depending on how dirty it is, you could just stick it in the dish washer. Just an idea.