Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! Sandblasters...... !!! Are they all the SAME?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm at that point now in the frame stripping process where I need to get a sandblasting rig to finish what I've started.

As I look at various models from Eastwood Company, and Harbor Freight, etc. It looks like it boils down to either a "gravity feed" (basically a hose in a bucket!) or a pressure-fed system. From what I've read, the pressure-fed systems will be more efficient and waste less material (the sand, or other media)....so that seems like a smart way to go. I don't know what the medias cost, but I could imagine spending more on those than the sandblasting hardware itself!!! [​IMG]

Of the pressure-fed systems, they all seem to have the same basic setup....a canister for media, a pressure regulator of some sort, and an air/water seperator....and some rubber hose. The prices are widely varied, so I wondering if there's really such a thing as a "quality" sandblaster......they seem SO simple, that it seems like I should just be looking for the cheapest one I can find that has a reasonable tank size....??

Am I correct in my conclusions....? I don't mind paying extra for "quality tools" and I usually do, but in this case it doesn't seem like the extra money is going to buy me anything besides a "fancier name brand".

I am anxiously awaiting your comments!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well, I've only used two different ones, one was the one walmart sold about 6 years ago, little black square box and a cheap hose and gun. Wasn't worth a crud, other was a larger unit held about a 50lb bag of sand. It worked pretty good, had a ceramic tip that did wear on occassion. So from my knowledge yes there are differences, hopefully someone on here can give you some more insite. As far as media is concerned I always just bought the sand from the local sandblaster, It was cheap. Like $10 for a big bag.
    If nothing else go to one of the local sandblasters and talk to him, if you find someone that's a nice enough guy he would probably tell you what to look for in a small unit.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

We have a campbell housefield(sp?) we got it at the home depot for less then $40. It holds about 30 lbs of sand. and we buy a 100# bag of sand for about $20( I think, I don't recall it's been a while..we just have a rubbermaid trash can full of it[​IMG]) It works awsome. I wouldn't mind getting a small booth for doing small stuff. Our school had one in the metals room and I would just take my stuff in there and do it during class for credit[​IMG].

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Spend tha money on a pressure feed if you plan to use it alot.I have a craftsman gravity feed w/a 100# pot. it sputters if any moister is evident any where. Pressure pot are sealed and you don't have to worry about your sand getting wet. Can buy 50# bag of blasting sand at OSH forabout 4 bucks. If you ask nice enough the guys in loading will give you the torn bags for free

In theory everything works

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a home depot gravity fed type, go with the pressure feed type. Moisture is hard to get past even with a moisture catch at both ends of the iar line, I still get clogs once in a while with mine.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

6. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Don't most of those sand blaster things require a really BIG air source? Most people that I've known that bought sand blasters found out the hard way that their air compressor couldn't keep up with the amount of air needed to get much done in a reasonable amount of time. One Of the motorcycle shops I used to work in had a blasting cabinet and a full size shop compressor and the boss warned me to limit using it because the compressor couldn't take all the constant running. BTW be sure and wear your respirator, you'll be sorry if you don't.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

7. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

What Greenblazer says is very true. I bought my air comp. not thinking i was going to do any sandblasting, but that point came along and was a slow and painful process. I had to wait for the comp. to catch up, and also, if u can get a full body suit, do it.

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Stay away from the gravity-fed types. They suck. They are only good for very small parts and little "touch-up" jobs.

You want the pressure-fed type for the big jobs, like the frame, axles, etc.

I have used the pressure type on the rebuilt axles and they are the best way to go. They get the job done faster and more efficiently.

I am waiting for more $$$ so I can buy one to keep for myself someday. I'm gonna get the smaller unit from Eastwood. They have the 100 and 110 size hoppers. I'm going with the smaller, 100 size. And still, for the Eastwood price of over $300, it will still be worth it.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pressure blasters are the best, mine is home made (out of a propane tank), the reason is...you can control the sand and air mixture, but if you don`t have at least 18 cfm compressor pump, you`ll spend more time letting the compressor catch-up!!!!