Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sandblasting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Would sand blasting the outside of my tub hurt anything or would it pit the metal? Any Ideas I hate sanding.

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sandblasting's fine, as long as you don't use too coarse of a medium, and too high of a pressure, or for really easy, if you've got a 7" angle grinder, you can get a 9" soft pad and 36 grit Norton blue discs - It will strip it down in nothing flat.

<font color=red>What would Brian Boitano Do?</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

36 grit norton discs would not gouge the metal?

take to get rid of you

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

They'll scuff it up, but not enough that the primer won't level it out. The only thing to remember is not to leave it in one spot too long - I managed to burn a hole through the hood of my old pickup that way.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks man!!

take to get rid of you

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

No problem - Glad to help!

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

36 grit on a 7" grinder can and will gouge the metal...
    For most things I do i find you can do it fast or you can do it good...but not usually both.

I use 36 grit discs at work for grinding steel, taking high spots off of welds, if you were very gentle the 36 grit disc might work but if theres any hidden fill on yer truck it'll make a mess faster than you realize. There are also a lot of places for the edge of a disc to 'catch' on the outside of your truck. thats why proper sanders are oscillating not rotating at 8500 RPM...

Are you trying to get the whole body down to bare metal?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The one's I'm talking about are specific for paint stripping - they use a little softer of an abrasive than a standard grinding/sanding disc you are right about the hidden filler though - I've hit more than one patch and been covered with an inch of white dust before I realized it.

Generic Signature

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I have heard and seen, sandblasting the body can/will warp it. Especially on those areas where the sheetmetal does not have much bracing behind it, such as bed sides, quarter panels, roofs, etc. Too much and too hard of blasting will warp the sheetmetal.

Anybody planning on checking out my homepage, forget it, I am still working on it!!!

10. tRustyK5

OK...I didn't realize Pug.
    I once had somebody hit a car of mine, they bought me a used fender and they were so eager to make me a happy camper they had it sandblasted. The damn thing was so warped, and screwed up I never did get it back to right.
    As well as pressure and size of media sandblasting creates heat...all bad things for body work.

BTW Westy...you lurking or back for more? If yer back then welcome back! Are ya havin a good holiday so far?

Rene

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I bought a door once that had been poorly sandblasted - took damn near forever to get it straightened out. Next time I totally refurb anything I'm taking it and having it baking soda blasted - One of my buddies had it done to his flatfender and it was amazing - no damage whatsoever.

Generic Signature

12. tRustyK5

You can always get a body acid dipped. Talldog was telling me about a place in LA he found. $650 for an entire body, acid dipped, resealed with seam sealer and then primed...

Bare tubs are hard to transport without damaging them though, and $650 buys a lot of sandpaper.

Rene

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

$650 will buy enough sandpaper to do several cars - twice. This baking soda deal was cool though - he drove it in, and they hit the whole thing - all they did for prep was remove the battery, seats and tail light lenses, and cover the carb with a plastic bag. It was stripped clean inside and out for $550. All he had to do was hose it off and drive it home - and it removed everything except a couple patches of old undercoating - I'm debating having my undercarriage done, except after the crossmember fiasco today, I'm concerned that something would fall off. [​IMG]

Generic Signature