Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sanding/painting and rust, HELP FAST

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Oct 17, 2004.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

since the top of the cab of the blazer is rusted, today i decide to half ass fix it, so from what i understand you sand it with 100 grit, then 220 grit, then clean, then prime, then paint. so im in step 1 with the 100 grit, and the surface rust comes off pretty easy, and im down to bare metal, but there are still little blotches where the rust was, i sanded the same spot for a while and the blotches remain, is this normal or should i go until all of it is shiny bare metal of the same shade? i bought the krylon rust preventer type primer and paint, and can i just leave it as primer, or do i have to paint it? cuz i think the primer looks better.. thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like its pitted where it was rusted--you sand it enough to get all the "blotches"out your metal will be pretty thin--sandblasting is the only way to get it all out with a minimum of metal removal--but if you try sandblasting it be aware thin metal like doors,hoods,and quarter panels can warp easily.Its important to get rid of all the rust--if you just sand it and paint it,it will look ok for awhile--but it will be back to haunt you!--maybe in oaklahoma things rust slower than new england,maybe you dont have to be as fussy as we have to be up here to prevent rust from returning. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif