Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sane pricing NEW D60s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjbear, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Anybody notice that little blurb in 4Wheel & Offroad about Ford possibly offering NEW front D60s for arround 3k? Or even the F450 versoin w/ the bigger ring gear and heavier knuckels for a grand more. Yes, I know they are balljoint style, drop on the wrong side, and new Fords use coils up front. But spring pearches are easy to make and there are tons more x-fer cases out there that work w/ the other drop. This might make places like Boyce & Dynatrac take notice.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one can only hope I guess. Dynatrac etc are pretty spendy, but that has made room in the axle building industry for some lower priced competition to sneak in there and get some of the market.

j

3. bigjbear

But who'd of thought that one of the "Big 3" would be the lower priced compition!

4. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

That would rock if it's true. No, wait... THAT WOULD ROOOOOCCCCCKKK!

T-cases are easily adapted. Even ORD's big green thing is/was running a Ford case. MOOAHAHAH.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont think it is that good of a deal.
    You could spend $1000 on a Chevy D60, all new bearings, gears, and locker and still be under 3K. Plus you have kingpin knuckles which are super easy for crossover, and you have Chevy 8 lug which are super easy to find wheels for.
    Am I missing something thats so good about them being NEW?? :confused:

6. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Wheels are a good point those axles are probably 8x170 and its very hard to find wheels for those trucks unless you want to buy weld.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree... $3k for D60 front is too much even if it is new. Hell even if you had to spend $1k on a D60 and then drop another $1k into it to rebuild it, you'd still be $1k ahead of that price with a stronger axle.. And you dont have to change spring perches and a look for a drivers drop t-case...

8. bigjbear

article said they were considering offering them a retrofit for the IFS (I assume they ment TTB) trucks, which means leafsprings and 8 on 6.5. If they only offer them in 8 on 170mm that would be a bummer.

9. bigjbear

There are a lot of people spending $2500 for 20 year old front axle from places Boyce and twice that for a new axle from places like Dynatrac. If nothing else this will keep prices from getting even higher. As far as a L/H drop case goes, they are a lot eaiser to find and normally have fewer miles than the R/H drop cases. Most GMs since '88, All GMs since '92, all Fords, Dodge since '94. Plus, if you're doing a Doubler Ford NP205s are super easy to find and all com w/ the required 31 spline input. Anyway, just my $.02.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

But you could find a used axle alot cheaper and rebuild it yourself for under $2k...(depedning on the buying price). Plus the kinpin axles are stronger and you dont need to change the t-case.

Granted changing the t-case isn't very hard and they aren't usually hard to find. But then there is more money you have to spend...

11. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

In many places 60's are kind of hard to get ahold of. I don't think $3k for a brand new one is that bad. Not that I'd spend it, but it's not a bad price.