Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Santa Barbara/Goleta Guys???

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by noahrob, Jan 27, 2006.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Hey,

My rig is rolling and I was just wondering if there are any other SB or Goleta guys/gals on here that want to go up to West camino and mess around a little on Saturday (yeah camok5...I know your in)?

2. noahrob

It was a beautiful day. Maybe next time...

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. noahrob

Cool pics...Were you running a sway bar at the time? Great flex, especially in the back...

I know you just finished your 500ci swap too. Congrats.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

no sway bar. thanks for the kind words. and yeah, i love the caddy engine :) still bugs to work out. but isnt their always

6. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in SB. My avatar is from Camino Cielo. Here is a bigger poser pic. Run up and down the hill climb enough times to know I can do it. My buddies yellow jeep is sitting up there with a broken driveshaft. He attacked that hill WOT and made it about first of all of us. Then after we had dug some whoops on the way up it got a little tougher.

Don't know if you all know Rob at Four Wheel Part Fab in Goleta, but that is his brother. Both crazy when it comes to there 4 bys

[​IMG]

7. noahrob

Hey Man,

I was at the bottom of that hill and it was so rutted up I passed on it. Actually, it was the first day out with the SM465 and I was a little unshure as to what was going to happen. As for Rob, I have actually seen you over there...you are the guy who talks funny right (just teasing you man)?

Let's setup a time to go cruise around and try to break our rigs.

8. K30Blazer

ha, yea some people call it an accent. The hill isn't so bad but you really have to kill your truck to get up it. More of a knife fight than a hill climb. I am up for some more wheeling. I have wanted to head out to the Miller Jeep trail for a while now and know some others who would be interested.

9. noahrob

I was going to take the crawl approach on the hill. We'll have to go because we may not be talking about the same hill...Miller Jeep trail!! I am getting ready, let's plan to do it one day in February. I need a Carb (thinking the Truck Avenger, but having a hard time getting more feedback from this site about it) and to fix the damn leaking radiator, otherwise I am ready...If I have time, I would like to cut the heck out of my fenders first, but not necessary. Camok5 will go to and maybe another buddy of Rob's.

This weekend I need to pull the 500ci out of the Cadillac and then next weekend is fix the rig time, so I could be ready by Feb 18.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i've done that hill before too! lol but i crawled it pretty easy, didnt hit it fast. let me look for a pic or video :)

11. noahrob

I have a picture of it at home I'll post. I was going to go, but to be hosnet, I wussed out. It was the first time out for me in this truck (weak excuse) and the first time with the manual tranny (weak excuse) and my girl was with me (weakest excuse ever...blame it on the chick). All of this means that I have to try it for sure next time.

Jump in on the Miller Jeep trail action. If I can get at least one other dude to commit, I'll work on coordinating it.

12. K30Blazer

the hill is pretty gnarly now. There is no way you can crawl it as it is covered in about 2 feet of silt. Just walking down is tough. We usually hit it from the backside and drive down it and then charge it. I have probably done it about 5 times and the only time I didn't feel like I was killing my truck was after the rains when it was pretty easy. It gets pretty damn steep at the top. About 200 yards long too.

13. noahrob

Yeah, that sounds about right. There are a couple of considerable ruts adn a big, what looks like washout, on the right. Basically I was afraid of getting half way up, stalling and then being a tool and not being able to get it started again and have to roll down backwards with the engine off (limited braking capability).

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

15. K30Blazer

yeah, thats it. I used to do it all the time in the winter on my dirt bike but during the summer it just turns to sand. There are large whoops across it about half way up. The line now is further to the right than where you went up. Nice Blazer, what happend to it?

In regards to rolling back down, I hear you. I may have made it about 5 times, but I have not made it about 15 or 20 times!! Would be kinda tough without PS or brakes.

16. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i took the axles, tires, and suspension for my 73 Jimmy, now its sitting on jack stands :(

17. noahrob

Hmmm...the coming down part looks a heck of a lot worse than the going up...also, at teh top doesn't the hill juke to the left and then go up about another 75-100 yards? I didn't see anywhere to turn around after the first climb so I just assumed you had to make the turn and keep going. I'll try it next time, but with the video camera so you can see.,

18. K30Blazer

as you are coming down Camino Cielo, when you pass the "gun range" (I use that term loosely) you will see a turn off to your left. That will climb you up to the top of the hill.

It is a pretty gnarly downhill. It jogs to the left at the top and you have to cross a little rut that gets you a little light but not too bad. Then it is just let the transmission crawl you down the hill and don't let your brakes lock up.

I won't kid you the hill is tough. The last time I did it in the dry I decided that I won't do it again as you have to murder your truck to make it up the whole thing. I have some video somewhere of it that is pretty good. About halfway up you hit a pretty big whoop that has the tendency to get you real light, after that you just floor it and try and see where you are going.

I noticed Camo k5 going up that stair step section. That has got a lot harder in the past months. I did it the first time I went up in the summer, but when I tried it recently I just burned out the front left and rear right on the steps. I need a locker!

19. noahrob

You mean this part? I bounced off it three times, the last time pretty hard. There is a big rock in the way that I hit, the truck stalled with suspension compressed and then I went flailing down the hill backwards witht the engine off laughing my a*s off.

IMG_1779.JPG

20. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would have been able to make the hill climb and the stair step if my low range was working in the doubler but for some reason it keeps poping out. Maybe thats just wishful thinking.:D