Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Santa came early

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 69K5, Dec 18, 2001.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Nov 10, 2001
    Well Santa came early for me this year. My wife got me a 12 disc pioneer CD changer. And a pair of 6 x 9's. My best friend donated me a radio and another pair of 6 x 9's for puttin on a set of struts on his car. I'd have done it for free, but he knew about my christmas and wanted an excuse to go buy a new radio. I will be mounting the CD changer and the radio in the center console of my 69 K5. This is for 2 reasons. First when I get released back to reserve status I will return back to my college with all the clepto's. secondly I am keeping the operational stock radio in the dash and working. My question is I want to mount the speakers in my rear panels and something in my doors. will this sound ok? Will I be able to here it with the top off.
    Greg72 If you read this how hard was it to mput the speakers in your doors.
    Thanks in advance
  2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001

The "hardest" part was making the decision to cut the sheetmetal in the first place! [​IMG]

I didn't really want to have to cut anything, but I realized there just wasn't any other way to accomplish what I wanted. I have two speakers in each door, the one closest to the hinge was the most trouble...there are a couple thicknesses of metal in there, and a "formed" backet that ties the lower door to the hinge for strength. If you pull the door panel and shine a flashlight in there, you'll see what I mean.

Most of the problems I created for myself were because I wanted the speakers "flush mounted", so I had to build a mounting plate and install it BEHIND the sheetmetal of the door. If you go with a more traditional "surface mount", it will be a LOT easier on you.

You mentioned concerns about theft....so maybe the best solution is to flush-mount the speakers and then buy the carpet kit that goes over the bottom of the door. I saw that LMC sells a few "unusual" carpet kit options like that....most people would think it's "factory" and you'd have less to worry about..."theft-wise"

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>