Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Santa showed up today!!!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mxfireman, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

For the last year I have been getting into hunting. It all started with archery. Now it has rolled into quail and duck. Now I am dying to take a deer and javalina. So I called my dads uncle last week (he used to be an avid hunter) and started discussing caliber with him. It seems that everyone wants an all purpose gun to hunt everything. He starts telling me the differences between them all. The one thing he did say though was shot placement. You can take almost anything down with a good shot placement. What I am getting too with my drawn out story is this is what showed up today. My dads uncle is the best ever!!!!:D :D :D

Jimbo from CK5 sent me these snares!!! Thanks again Jim!:D
    The first one is a winchester model 70 .270 caliber. I think I am going to love this one!
    Second is a savage 300.
    Third is a marlin 30/30.
    I would love to tell you what the last one is but there are no marks on it at all telling the brand but it is a 30-06.

DSC02453.JPG

DSC02448.JPG

DSC02449.JPG

DSC02450.JPG

DSC02451.JPG

2. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

How do you set those snares up?

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't want to leave out my little javalina killer either!!!
    This is a Ruger 41 magnum revolver!:D Isn't Christmas great!

DSC02452.JPG

4. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

You lucky bastard! Now you can shoot the bunnies with the .41!

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

.41mag is a sweet round. Congrats on the new arsenal. I am hoping to go hunting next year in AZ if I can get drawn.

Harley

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats! You now own the "best firearms in the best calibers!" those salvages are so sweet!!!!!

7. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Haven't shot it yet but shot the .270 and it was awesome. The bad thing about the .41 mag is finding ammo:(

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  8. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

throw up some closeups of the action and floorplate on the '06. Somebody ought to be able to give you a pretty good idea of what it is.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to shoot often you need to invest in a reloader. Even a single stage press like a RCBS Rock Chucker would do great for the calibers you have. I reload all my rifle & revolver ammo on the RCBS Rockchucker at my dads house. It saves you money if you are shooting on a regular basis & it gives you control of what your gun digests & is 100% tuneable.

It is pretty easy. I taught myself how to reload when I was 13 years old with a couple reloading manuals.

Harley

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Thats the plan. Have a free one coming for the 20 gauge. I always pick up my brass regardless if reloading or not. I don't like to litter where I hunt!:D

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

More pics of the top of the last one please. Looks like a sporterized "something", Mauser, maybe? I love used guns, the come with character. I just picked up a used Ithaca model 37 12Ga for $200. When I got it home, and cleaned it up, I was surprised at how 'clean' it was. There was a tiny spot if surface rust under the slide on the barrel, but I took care of that, and the thing looks brand new! I hope I can knock some quail out of the sky with it.

Nice Savage 99, too. I've got one from just after the turn of the century that was my grandpas. Ditto on reloading. I've been reloading since I was a kid. Once you get into it, it's awesome to tailor a load to a particular rifle, and have it drive tacks.