Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SAS an IFS questions please help me start on the correct foot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jan 26, 2007.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

so what do i need to make it all work retaining most the stock drivetrain ( trans and x-case ) i have a 94 and a 97 extended cab trucks i would like to do it to both. the 94 can be built with a chevy d60 and 205 x-case cuz i dont really care about all the computer stuff as i would like a crate engine such as a ram jet 502 or even a carb'ed big block (still debateing how to build that one) but the 97 is still a very nice truck. all stock and the front diff. is shattered so would i just need a kit like sky man. sells and a ford front axle? is the stock x-case drop far enough to make 6 or 8 inch lift and not bind up the drive shaft? what about steering? also can a ford d60 out of a stupid duty, with stupid duty metric lug pattern be changed fairly cheap? any and all advise is welcome.

thanx
    balzer

2. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Best advice I can give you is go to Pirate4x4.com they have tons of info on the IFS to SAS. Alot of guys here run the ole' solid front axle rigs.

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been looking into this too. There is alot of good info on fullsizechevy.com as well. Make sure you read up as much as you can. Also make sure you figure your costs quite a bitter higher then you were really planning to pay. I have read of guys spending between 5 and 9 grand including tires for the whole entire swap.

You have to plan on running a Ford Dana 44 or Ford Dana 60 to retain factory transfer case and transmission. The most desirable axle is out of a 78-79 Ford because of the spring pad width. Some guys have run 14sf for the rear, but obviously if you are running big tires, plan on a 14ff.

There are a few different companies who make the kit for the swap, unless you make your own brackets. To buy a kit, plan on about 700 bucks plus the cost of your lift springs.

You will have to run crossover steering. That can be expensive too depending on whether you fab it yourself or buy a kit from somebody.

I still plan to do it to my Tahoe, but it will cost more then I hoped for.

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On another note, really read up on the SAS kits. Alot of guys don't really like the style of the Sky kit. I personally don't like it. I love the price of it, but i'd rather have the ORU kit, unless I can find somebody to fab up my kit for me for cheaper.