Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SAS on 92 s10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Apr 24, 2005.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

ok i know this is a fullsize board but i thought id ask here anyway

i bought a 92 s10 2wd for a DD so i could finish my 79 chevy. well after thinking long and hard, im thinking about junking the 79, the frame is junk, the cab is all rotted, and i dont feel like trying to find another fullsize that isnt all rotted out and beat.

so i was talking to my buddy who's friend as a 86 s10 blazer with a narrowed 10 bolt in it, and said it did awsome in the woods.

now my s10 is pretty solid, hardly any rot or rust, so heres what i was thinking.

put a 350 in the s10 (i already have the mounts and headers, put in an sm465/205(already have, and the truck is already a 5 speed), i have a 14bff from a c&c the real short one, i figured move the spring pearches and put srw hubs on it and it should fit nice under it, and for the front i can eather narrow a 10b or my d60, i know a guy that has narrowed a few axles and said he could do it for about 100$, and i was thinking about running the stock rear springs but do a SOA, and a set of 4 inch front springs from my 79.

so i already have pretty much all the stuff to do it, id just need to buy the steel to make all the front mounts and stuff.

so what do you guys think? any suggestion or tips?

thanks

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

a D44 out of a jeep is the right width for the S-10 blazers. 100 dollars sounds like a very cheap job. To narrow an axle is a very involved job. I don't know what the difference is between a full width and a S-10 axle base but i have heard of people running a full width axle under it with large fender flares to cover the tires and maby new rims with different backspacing. I think that a solid axle s-10 would be great

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It'd be easier to use a Jeep D30 out of a YJ or a D44 out of a Scout (good luck). My friend was looking into this pretty heavily. S10's all had driver's side drop cases so you either need to switch it over, or find a driver's side pumpkin axle. It's not all that easy to do, but S10's make sick trail trucks.

Edit: N/M, looked at your drivetrain combo. Narrowing an axle isn't easy and I would take it to someone VERY experienced. The upside is that you could rotate the C's in regards to the pumpkin so you could have good steering and pinion angles at the same time.

4. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

I narrowed my D44 myself. took me about all day with just the actual narrowing work. grinding, careful cutting, good welding, caster adjusting ( I turned it 12 degrees too). I only cut 1 side though. Had some custom dutchman axles made from parts mike and it's great. if you bring the shop your empty axle housing $100 is about right. $300-400 with axle disasembly. I'd do a SAS'd S10 !!! great idea man. I have a 94 4runner with a '75 K5 Blazer D44 upfront and Toy 8 V6 in the rear. Detroits front and rear... I love the S10/Toyota sized trucks for rock crawling type of stuff. However I love the 80's K5's but for different reasons.... big, mean, already SAS'd & V8. Man mobiles. but in your situation.. I vote S10.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing you might want to think about too is insurance. Your insurance company is going to charge like mad or drop your coverage if they actually know what you're doing. With State Farm here in Minnesota it has to be a "certifiably engineered and tested kit" for them to not go nuts on the premiums. That's the reason my friend didn't end up doing it, he would have had to drop big money for a pre-made deal. I know this is gonna be a trail rig, but there will be times you've gotta drive it on the street.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

We're planning one for a 89 S10 blazer, and are probably going to go with Wagoneer D44's. We're keeping the stock t-case for now, so need the drivers drop. I haven't exactly figured out how to put the leaf springs in yet. Post up if you get it done.

7. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I was looking into doing a SAS on my S10 but i bought my K10, It would have been cheaper to do a V8 and SAS swap on the S10 but o well. I did quite a bit of research on it, http://p207.ezboard.com/bs10extremists and S10 Forum Check that out, should give you some ideas.

Later

8. 86chevybanshee

well the guy that will shorten my axle im pretty good friends with, thats why so cheap, hes done a few axles that are still holding up a few years later. plus i was only gona cut one side.

i thought about the jeep and waggy axles but, im planning on running a pretty healthy small block, probly about 400-425 hp, and i like to beat my trucks, and i already have a locked 60 and 14bff. i probly dont need the 60 up front cuz i plan on running 35's or 37's. but its just nice to know that ill have a hard time breaking something up front

im not really worried about the insurance part, my last truck was beat to hell and had 8 inches of lift and they people got a kick out of it, plus the owner guy is good friends with my grandfather

9. 86chevybanshee

well i decided not to hack up my 92

i bought a 91 sonoma longbed 2wd with a 4.3/700r4 for the injection and other parts for my s10 and its starting to look like a good candidate for the sas.

i did some measuring and i think im gona run 52"s up front and 56's out back maybe 63"s if i get another broken center pin (i had to put a new spring in a truck at work cuz of a broken center pin and it was under warrenty and its too heavy to ship back so i took it home), probly gona run about a 100-104 inch wheel base. im still gona run an injected 350 with an sm465/205 and all that jaz, but just on a different truck.

pics to follow :D

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'll be waiting. :grin: