Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SAS s10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big4x4ride, Sep 4, 2005.

1. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

Im in the process of SAS on a 85 s10 blazer. The easiest was I can see to mount front springs is with a shackle at front and rear fixed mount. I know jeeps, sammi's and some furds did this, and alot people change it. WHy?? I did some research and the forward shackel seems best, other than teh giving up approach angle part. Other than that it seems ideal. Any input??

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

search for a thread by me about front shackles, I don't feel like finding it at the moment. I too am doing an S10 SAS and also realized the easiest route would be front shackles, but they have far more disadvantages then advantages. I extended my front framerails about 7" and am making my spring mounts right now.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

What happens when the shackle is mounted at the front of the spring, when the spring compresses it moves the axle forward. This is ok with 2" total suspension travel like what comes out of a factory rig, but when you start getting more suspension travel, what happens is when the spring compresses it moves the axle forward and thus the pinion away from the transfer case and can overextend the driveshaft. When the shackle's at the rear it moves the axle back when the spring compresses.

Thats the reason that I understand that jeep guys do a shackle reversal to move the shackle to the rear of the spring.

Mike

4. big4x4ride

I think to eliminate tons of hadaches I am goint to do a front shackle to get me by for a few trips and then just coil it, too much of a PIA to get the rear shackle to work without ungodly angled wedges in there

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Another bad tihng is I have seen many springs bent from front shackles.
    Say you are trying to climb something and the shackle hits a rock, as you try to go up it just pushes the spring back bending the leaf.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

That is the big reason. Also it rides like ass. You are driving down the road, hit a bump, now your axle tries to move forward, rubbing against the asphalt. WHere as with a rear shackle its trying to go the way the car is moving. You go ahead and do as you please, but I don't recommend it. If you can't figure out how to make a rear shackle setup work... how are you going to design a proper link system for coils?

7. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I agree with sled_dog on that... and also, it probably won't be "a few trips" to get by for a little bit. 1) you're likely to do damage to the rig, possibly others. 2) it's going to be a lot of work either way. make rear shackles.

8. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

That pretty much sums it up, like he also said with only 2" of travel it's not much of a big deal or unsafe, but when you have a lot more travel you're just asking for trouble.

9. big4x4ride

well then I have 3 choices. A. Make some low hangers up front, will hang down too far for my taste. B. Use some degree wedges, like 10* +(are these available). C. Rotate the pumpkin(complete PIA) my center pin will be flat or vene angled towards teh front of the truck some(backwards) so I need some good angled wedges, are these available??

10. big4x4ride

Its not hard to figure out the rear shackle setup, my problem is I dont want a hanger that hangs 8 inches below my frame

11. big4x4ride

im going to use teh hanger setup I originally planned, and found a place that sells custom angled shims that bolt to the pack, and I will run those. That way there is a rear shackle, and no hanger hanging 8" down in front :D

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I might also have to do this. My front mounts only hang down below the frame about 5-6" so shimming will likely be needed.

13. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

I stole the pic off the for sale forum on PBB, but this is a PERFECT example why if you're going to lift a vehicle the shackle should be in the back not the front. It's safe and fine on a stock vehicle but if you notice the driverside main spring on this jeep you'll know why jeep guys run a shackle reversal!!!! Thread is a lil old but found a pic showing why you should take the extra time now!!!

[​IMG]