Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SAS swap-steering issues

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by beater_k20, Dec 14, 2003.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

do i have any other options as far as steering goes if i were going to do a SAS swap? i'm wanting to use a GM 10 bolt front axle to keep my truck all GM. i'm aware of the difference in transfer case drops, another reason i'd like to stay with a GM is that axles are easier to find. i've been searching for a Ford Dana 44, but cant seem to find one. GM 10 bolt fronts are a dime a dozen. BTW, i'm looking to keep the lift fairly low, around 6" as this will continue to be my daily driver.

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

What is your question? You're going to have to go crossover, where you get the components is up to you. If you use a GM front axle, you'll have to change the T-case, and regardless of the axle type (corporate 10 or Dana 44), it'll have to have flat-top knuckles off of an early 44 to make the crossover work. Also, if you use a 44 from a 1/2 ton furd it'll be set up for coils, not leafs. If your IFS truck is a 6-lugger, you're going to have to change some parts as well, as the furds came with 5 or 8. Check out ORD and ORU for steering and swap info, as well as lifts, etc.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There were Dana 44 F150s that were Leaf Sprung. way back when it existed so its possible to get one of those. And yes crossover is what you have to do.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds like i should just hold out a bit longer on the Ford D44. i've been told that i can put GM brakes on the Ford axle, to retain my 6 bolt pattern. is this true? and if so what is it going to require? what other sources are there for crossover steering for my application, other than ORD?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhh lots of sources.... www.shakerbuilt.com are the ones that stick out off the top of my head. Really just need a passenger side arm unless you want to go high steer. ORU has a setup too but they are a major rip.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

assuming i find a Ford Dana 44 front axle, i'll be able to use the stock Ford knuckles for my crossover steering correct? will i be able to bolt K10/Blazer brakes to the Ford axle to retain my 6 bolt pattern? what does it take to do it if it is possible, nobody can seem to give me a straight answer.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

on second thought, if i am able to find an 8 lug 44, is the bolt circle the same as a 14 bolt Chevy?

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wow, talk about some dumb questions... :screwy:

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

PM extremetahoe he does SAS's all the time including his 99 tahoe, there are a few pics in his photo gallery

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got it pretty much figured out at this point. 3 years ago, i didnt have much of a clue though. :haha:

11. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status

How many HP44s leaf spring do you want?? I can think of about 10 or so that I can get, and one of them being a 1/2 ton leave spring. Those are out of ext cab 1/2 tons, basically a 3/4 ton axle with 1/2 ton outers. If you get a Ford axle and want to run GM 6 lug, just find an older GM D44 with flattops, and swap everything from the knuckle out. Pretty much have to go crossover on SAS, or mount the steering box on the outside of the frame like the OBS. OR if you run a very small lift, or no lift, you can run the inverted Y style, like 1/2 tons Fords and Bronco's used. Crossover is much easier.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i know this now, came across the thread last night, and thought the ignorance was funny. i'm sticking with a Chevy 44, as i now have a Chevy 44, flat tops, a crossover arm, and a 700R4/241 combo out of a 91 Burb.

13. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated GMOTM Winner

Any super-cab F-150 4x4 and regular cab F-250's prior to 1980 will have a leafsprung high pinion dana 44 and IIRCC the have the same spindle bolt pattern as chevy so I'm pretty sure you can swap to chevy stuff with out removing the Knuckles
    Super-cab F-250's 4x4's and 78-79 4x4 F-350's should have the Hi-pinion 60

14. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status

The spindle pattern is 5 bolt on these, GMs are 6. Not all supercab 250s are the 60, seen a couple that were the 44s.