Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sas swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by whiteboy5, Apr 5, 2004.

1. whiteboy5

whiteboy5 Registered Member

i have a 96 z-71 and wanna put a pretty good size lift on it..i've been told the ifs will give me problems with a big lift on it so i've been thinkin about the sas..i wanna know everything about it and what i will be getting into...how much money? how long it will take me? how hard is it to do? anything u know tell me..thanks alot guys

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

willyswanter did it to his crewcab. he should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

3. whiteboy5

thanks alot man

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Argh, well I made a list of everything needed a while back and that can be found in the search but here some info anyway.

You will need:

1) Axle with 32.5" spring pad width (78-79 Ford or any GM). You can use 10 bolt, dana 44, or dana 60. If you want to keep your stock t-case you need the ford versions of the 44 or 60 for the drivers drop. If you don't mind swapping t-cases you can put in a 241 pass. drop or a 205 pass. drop and run a GM or Dodge axle.

2) You will need spring hangers, I used ORU's kit and highly recommend it, very nice brackets.

3) Springs from sfa 1/2 ton chevy. I used BDS at first and later had custom Alcan 4" packs made. Anything more than a 6 or 7" spring will be stiff, and the brackets add 3" of lift so if you have a 6" spring you will have a total of 9" of lift.

4) You will need to deal with steering, if it's a dana 60 you can go with ORD's steering arm, draglink, and pitman arm. For a dana 44 or 10 bolt you can still use ORD's draglink and pitman arm but you will need to source a flat top pass. side knuckle and a steering arm.

5) You will need to extend front driveshaft, and possibly rear shaft.

6) Brake lines, you will need longer ones, I get my stuff through AFCO.

7) Rear lift, you will need to take care of lifting the rear. You can run a 4" shackle flip from ORD and then whatever spring you need, I ran the flip and 4" Alcan springs.

8) Next is your tires/wheels which is up to you.

9) And last is something hardly anyone ever does but I highly recommend it. Your truck comes stock with a small master cylinder with a quick takeup valve made for the stock low drag calipers. When you put on the solid axle it will have normal calipers and the quick take up valve will cause increased tire wear. I recommend replacing the MC with the unit sold as the "Brute Force" mc by ORU. Then remove the ABS unit completely and replace it with a proportioning valve from an older SFA style chevy. 10x better braking then you will have ever had.

5. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

on my 94 gmc i had to have the cat moved, but you might not
    ?? and youll probably have to re-calibrate the spedo, i
    also used orus kit, people might try to tell you to make
    your own, but oru already did the trial and error to make it right, and plus if your not very good in your welding
    skills dont even think about it, and if you use a dana 44
    doesnt mean you cant do a 60 later,
    if your mainly into 4 wheeling you might want to consider
    selling your 96, you could build a nice truck up with that money,
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Theres some pics of a 98 GMC with a SAS on my link, among others, check em out.

7. whiteboy5

hey willyswanter do you have aim? if so whats your name on there..thanks

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nope, not anymore, and it's a long story as to why... Feel free to post any questions here though.

9. whiteboy5

alright man thats cool...well i wont start the conversion til this summer..but i would like an estimate on how much its gonna cost me..im not gonna buy the high dollar stuff..just the good quality stuff that will work..so how much am i lookin at?

10. whiteboy5

ttt...anyone got an estimate for me?

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's my chat logging isn't it? What did the UPS man say?

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ttt...anyone got an estimate for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oru brackets, steering, d 60, all new brakes, wheel bearings, calipers, etc, 14 bolt, 4.56s, locker, front springs, rear springs, shocks, wheels and tires. $6k...At cost!