Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SAS using GM axle ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WRENCH-HEAD, Aug 27, 2006.

1. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

I am contemplating an SAS on 2 door tahoe and want to know if people have done them before with GM axles. I know GM units are low pinions and the later model frames supposedly tuck the drivetrain up higher, but I am only looking to clear 35's with maybe about 4 in of lift. Anyone see any other problems. I know about the T-case and exhaust, those arent' to bad, it is just extremely hard to come by high pinion ford front ends around here. I'm only looking for a 44 at that. TIA

-Alex

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm working on one right now. i'll be running a GM Dana 44 and a corprate 14 bolt. using Sky Manufacturing's SAS kit (its not listed on their website) and a set of 4" TC EZ Rides, i'll end up with 7-8" of lift according to Sky. in order to clear 35s, you're going to need at least 6" with that truck. i'm planning on running 35s on mine too. only real issue you should have is moving the transfer case shifter to the opposite side of the trans hump. the exhaust looks like it could be tight around the transfer case, but it should clear. the only problems you may run into is the crossover pipe not clearing the front driveshaft and the CV joint on the front shaft not clearing the trans crossmember. other than that looks like its going to be a straightforward build.

avoid the OffRoadDirect kit, i just sent one back, and its got some major fitment issues. front crossmember was too wide for the frame, the spring mounting holes were all 9/16" (making it impossible to find bushings for, and the rear shackle was only 3" wide (ever try putting a 3.5" wide spring in a 3" hole? NOT HAPPENING!)

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep right here. 40s with about 6-7" lift with the cut-outs. I had 35s on here before, and had plenty o room. YOur gonna need bumpstomps with 4" and 35s, it will flex pretty good with that small a spring, or even a stock spring.

[​IMG]

4. WRENCH-HEAD

Any problems with pinion angle or anything else. Not too worried about the bumpstops, moving the shifter, or possible rerouting of the exhaust; just want to do it right. Overall, I really want to know if it is ok to use a gm axle or is it best to hold out for a hp44, but gm44's are a dime a dozen out here and hp44 are extremely rare and 200-400 when you find one. Thanks for the input guys.
    -Alex

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a Ford hipinion axle would allow you to use the stock transfer case, other than that i cant see any real down side to running a Chevy axle. with a Dana 44, pinion angle adjustments and alignment adjustments are pretty simple with the use of shims.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm running a div 205, so my angles aren't bad at all. Actually my rear is worse than the front. I used to live in Broomfield, and can't remember where Littleton is, norht isn't it?? Check in Erie, there is a couple yards there, one IIRC is Speedway Auto Salvage, the only junkyard that I have EVER been to that had not one, not two, but three BBCs in it. And they weren't tall decks. Anyways, try them, and then there is Aurora truck parts, there are two, one I went to was east. They get alot of stuff in there, might be worth it to check it out.

7. WRENCH-HEAD

I will continue to check the yards. Just feeling out all of my options, if the time comes and an axle is no where to be seen.

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I used to see HP44s go on Pirate all the time. You can find em pretty easy if you're willing to drive a couple hours.

9. WRENCH-HEAD

I don't mind at all, but can I view the ads if I'm not a member.

10. thezentree

I'm registered, I just don't have a red star, and I can see em fine.

11. WRENCH-HEAD

Yep I can see them just fine as well. Unfortunately the closest ones aren't close at all, like east coast. Will probably start collecting other parts and keep a close watch on the yards.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

same here, no star, can see em just fine.

13. thezentree

Haha, that's the way it works. When I was looking for mine, they were all in CA. :doah: