Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sas??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Feb 4, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Ok so I got this F-250. yes its a ford! sorry guys. I'm lookin for info. I want to do an SAS on this truck in the future. Its a 93 F-250 2wd. 7.3 turbo diesel w/ a 5 speed standard. I dont want to get rid of the truck as I have a lot of memories in it. I was thinkin of putting a D50 (hard to find I'm told) or a D60 upfront. I dont think a D44 will hold up. I would use a divorced NP205 since I like the tranny I got. For suspenstion I would use leaf springs for simplicity. I want to build a reliable DD/towrig/work truck for my K5. This truck needs to still be able to haul horses/cattle/tools. I would want to run a 33 inch tire or so as it will be a DD.

My questions are these:

Can this be done?

What about steering?

How about the enigine crossmember?

Do I have enough wheelbase to have good driveline angles w/ the divorced tcase? My truck is a single cab long wheel base.

What year trucks would be good to look at for axles?

If yall have info, pics or websites I could like at post up. Thanks yall and please dont flame to much bein that shes a ford, but I love this truck and she will always stay in the fleet.

Dustin

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

one nice thing ford did, their frames are the same. Look for a D60 out of an F350 from anywhere from I think 1989 until 1998. Newer one would work but the wheel pattern is different, so unless you got the rear two you'd be screwed up. Just find a 4x4 F350 or even F250 in the yard and pull all the mounts and the crossmember(easy work with a torch, heck get the mounts from the one with the axle in it). My buddy just got all the stuff. It bolts right up(maybe a few holes to be drilled) and you are converted to 4x4. Then just figure out the tcase issue.

3. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

hummmm,

would the same thing apply if it was a F-150/ full size bronco? because i was considering this swap/......

LUKE

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have another friend that did that, yep it works on those too.

5. hunterguy86

Hey Sled you wouldnt happen to have any pics of that truck would ya? I would like to the the spring hangers, shackles, and the steering.

I'm wondering if D44 would hold up cause the D60 is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The only thing that really gets me is the steering. I guess I just need to look at a 4wd truck and then go from there.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I think the d44 would hold up just fine. The factory 88-97 f250 4x4 has the ttb front axle which used d44 parts.

I wouldn't spend the extra cash for a d60 if you're only gunna run 33's.

On the other hand, I'n not sure what year model had a strait axle d44 that would fit. The 89-97(8) 250's all had the ttb, f350's had the d60. You might be able to find a 80's f250 with a d44 strait axle.

7. steve_kibbe

Ok, I did some more research. The 4WOR July 05 issue has the front axle facts.

The 86 1/2 -97 f-350's have the d60. The spring pad spacing is 36".
    (chevy is 31.5 and dodge is 32.5)

It doesn't say there is a D44 with that same spring pad width.

78-79 F250's have d44, but the spring pad spacing is 32".

Another thing to consider is are you going to use a divorced case with a drivers side or passenger side drop?

The dana 50 you referenced came in dodges I believe and they were pass. side diff.

I hope this helps.

8. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

iirc, the Dana50 was used in fords - actually they're the only ones I've ever heard of using one- it's like a TTB that takes the same locking hubs as an internalhubbed D60.it seems to me they were used most commonly in F250's.

9. hunterguy86

From what I've read the Ford Dana 50 is TTB so thats a no go.

I found a divorced NP205 at the yard that is driver drop i think. The whole truck is there. Im gonna go saturday and look. I dont remember the year model of the truck or if its a F250 or F350. This could be a shot at a D60!!!
    Anyways if anybody else has any tips or places to search I would aprriciate it. Thanks for everything so far!

Another question. will an alignment shop do an alinement on a truck that has A SAS done to it?

10. steve_kibbe

Yes, they will allign your front end. Doesn't matter what its on.

I was going to buy a 88-89 dodge with a cummins, it had a dana 50 in it:thinking: