Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sat for 4 months starting tips

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by woods, Jan 5, 2005.

1. woods

woods Registered Member

my 6.2 been sitting for 4 months, I put fuel stabliziler and anti-gel in it before I left. What's some starting tips, I can't plug it in do to no power outlets in the parking lot on base. Also it's in colorado springs so I could be very cold when I get back, anyway to get oil back into the top of the engine?

woods

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've got a feeling you could use a cordless drill and SBC/BBC oil pump drive. The vacuum pump looks awfully close to a SBC/BBC distributor.

3. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

The drive shaft for the pump is hexagon shaped instead of slotted on the 6.2's. At least the ones have had apart are (84-86). I have gotten trucks thta have sat for same length of time and longer. In fact I just picked one up that sat for a few months before I got it and it fired right up 18 degrees out when I did it. If you are worried about getting oil to the top. Disconnect the power wire to the injector pump and crank it for about 15-20 seconds( do it a couple times if you want to). Thats what I do but then again I usually have to bleed air out so that is required anyway.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Just fire it up.
    That is one nice thing about diesels, they are more forgiving when let sit for long periods. Not like a gasser where the fuel gums up in the carb after time.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I noticed that even on my 67' perkins, I had it sitting for 6 months, it was about 32 degrees and that engine does not have any glow plugs, it fired the first second.
    They are real forgiving as long as yo have no leaks in the fuel system.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Change the oil. Check all yer fluids. Add some Diesel to the tank. Check the air filter. Check the battery connections. Fire it up.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Since you dumped fuel stabilizer and anti gelling stuff in the tank I see no difference in it sitting for 4 months or 4 days, besides a pair of dead batteries.

Charge the batteries and start it. I don't know if the 6.2 BD2 pump as a manual little hand pump or not but if it does pump it for a few seconds to prime it. We have a ranch with a bunch of farm equipment from tractors, combines, to backhoes and most of the time they don't get started but once a month. Don't worry about the fuel and don't worry about the oil, the oil pump will prime itself when it starts, if the batteries are charged it will fire up like it was running 4 days ago.