Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Satelite TV with more than 4 TVs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, May 1, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

anyone have it? The price of Cable is all of re-freaking-diculous anymore. And Comcast just made it so we can't watch HBO unless the TV has Digital Cable. We have Digital Cable, but only the Plasma TV has the cable box(for HD programming). So our bill is somewhere around $170 a month now, and to get boxes for the rest of the house will cost $36 more a month... So now we pay for HBO but aren't allowed to view it unless we pay extra for a cable box. ****ers.... I was looking at Satelite TV, our house is nestled "in the woods" but we have a good view of the northern and southern skys so I think it could work. I was researching a few days ago and the most box combinations I found was "Up to 4"... we have 5 tvs. 3 in bedrooms, sitting room, and the big screen in the living room. So 4 doesn't quite cut it. I guess we could see to sacrificing one TV. I don't know, anyone?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

170 bucks:eek1: its like 45 bucks a month at my house for 4 tv's on satelite. then the extra box cost you and then an extra 10 bucks a month.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats, Internet, HD Digital Cable, HD Cable box, HBO, and.... ok thats all, yeah its highway robbery. But hey, I service Comcast trucks/vans at work(we have the fleet contract for this part of PA) so I personally make a bit of that back....

I'm doing the math and if the numbers I'm seeing are accurate, it would make more sense for us to switch to Direct TV, and Verizon DSL than it does to have the Cable. Oh crap I just remembered we can't get DSL out here at the new hows. We are at the mercy of Comcast for that.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

crap, mom just pointed out another flaw, we ran Cable to our garage, so that will be useless if we went to a Satelite tv setup...

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You know they make wifi satellite remote thingies.

My dad uses it at home. 3 TV's on 2 satellite recievers. Obviously only 2 TV's can control 2 recievers, but when one is not in use, you can use the wifi thingie (yes that's what I'm calling it because I can't remember the name) to broadcast box control signals and the TV signal to another room without running any cable.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The only reason we really need multiple receivers is we don't watch TV together a lot. At any time 3 of the 5 TVs are on. That wouldn't work out for us IMO.

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

We have the direct tv hd dish, so we have hd running to all 6 tv's, but only one with the hd box. We have a spliter on the main line that splits it into 6 different lines.

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It's not a splitter it's a multi-switch and you can get a powered switch that'll make up to 64 different converter boxes possible. Course that's rather expensive to get into and usually reserved for hotels n such.

Now then, Directv is what we have and we have 8 different lines for boxes and Tivos and what not. It's powered as well but came at no extra charge when they did the install.

If you want to have computer in the woods you can do what we did and get DirecPc. Available anywhere with a view of the southern sky, just like DirecTv.

Just a couple of thoughts for ya.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have DISH and run 4 TVs. Thye have a switch, as Justhorsin said, on the sat dish that allows the signal to be split, then they have a receiver that allows 2 TVs to run independently from one receiver. Don't know what model they have now, but I have a 522. I'm sure there's a charge to lease the equipment ( I own mine) and there's a monthly fee for 2 of the TV connections. You can run as many "splits" and receivers as you want if you want to pay for it.

10. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

We own all our boxes, its like $10 or something a month for each box, so its better if you just buy your own at best buy or somewhere. We picked up a few at yard sales for real cheap. Our hd box with dvr or whatever it is, was like $700 tho, so maybe you should rent the hd one.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks folks. The splitter box setup you were talking about is different than a Coaxial splitter box? We have a powered coaxial splitter/booster right now. With just a couple splitters our tvs were fuzzy so we had to use a signal boosting splitter box.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yes it is different. It is particular to satellite. The splitter is called an LNB, like this: LNB splitter

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

found a few of what you guys are talking about on BestBuy's site. DirecTV has their own version, $99 for it, takes 6 inputs and puts out 8. That would be more than enough for us. We have 5 tvs and will likely have 6 in the not too distant future.

14. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah this is what ours is. I remeber someone saying if you run more than 4 it starts to lose quality, but ours is still really clear. Just make sure to use good wires, and splice it really good.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

could probably route the HD boxes wire direct to the box, and the rest of the TVs run off of the splitter. The HD TV is the only one where the quality is highest priority. Gonna notice on that hting if something is a little off, wouldn't notice or care so much on the other tvs.