Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

satellite image viewing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

my buddy and i were talking and he said he knows a guy that can view your yard from a satellite, i was wondering are there any free or cheap websites that give real time data? thanks, chris

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The ONLY possible way to have real-time satellite imagery of, say, your yard, would be for an imaging satellite to have line-of-sight from it's orbit to your yard. Murphy's Law states (among many other things...) that the probability of an imaging satellite being line-of-sight to your desired target at the desired time is inversely proportional to your need for the imagery, so yer gonna hafta wait. Then you'd have to have a downlink of some sort, located in the proper place, capable of receiving the transmitted data (this is difficult because reconnaissance satellites don't download directly to the Earth, they send to a TDRSS satellite, which collects data streams from other resources and sends everything multiplexed, to minimize the chances of a dataset being intercepted). Then you'd need some heavy-freakin-duty computer support to decrypt the data stream, because the NSA supplies the encryption stuff to the NIMA for reconnaissance satellite data streams (the NSA has the largest collection of supercomputers in the world, including IIRC 90% of all the Cray supercomputers ever built. I don't think the latest from AMD or Intel has the balls for the job, even if you networked thousands together). You'd also need the software for displaying the imagery, and somehow I don't think Photoshop will fit the bill.
    The USGS will sell you imagery, but it's expensive, and it certainly won't be real-time.
    I believe the French have a satellite (or satellites) called GOES. They sell imagery as well (supposedly to Saddam during Gulf War I), but again, it's expensive, and even if you pay top-dollar it won't be real-time.
    Terraserver uses imagery taken from the Space Shuttle IIRC back in the mid-to-late 90's. It's got decent coverage (certain areas of Nevada are unavailable, along with other places of interest in the Midwest... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif), and some interesting stuff too (occasionally, de-classified no-BS reconnaissance imagery from the bad old days of the Cold War), but it's nothing spectacular. I DL'd the imagery of my neighborhood; I can tell that my garage is detached from my house, and that my driveway is concrete while the neighbors' are asphalt. That's about as good as the resolution gets.

Bottom-line: There's no real-time source of satellite imagery of stuff you want to see, when you want to see it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The ONLY possible way to have real-time satellite imagery of, say, your yard, would be for an imaging satellite to have line-of-sight from it's orbit to your yard. Murphy's Law states (among many other things...) that the probability of an imaging satellite being line-of-sight to your desired target at the desired time is inversely proportional to your need for the imagery, so yer gonna hafta wait. Then you'd have to have a downlink of some sort, located in the proper place, capable of receiving the transmitted data (this is difficult because reconnaissance satellites don't download directly to the Earth, they send to a TDRSS satellite, which collects data streams from other resources and sends everything multiplexed, to minimize the chances of a dataset being intercepted). Then you'd need some heavy-freakin-duty computer support to decrypt the data stream, because the NSA supplies the encryption stuff to the NIMA for reconnaissance satellite data streams (the NSA has the largest collection of supercomputers in the world, including IIRC 90% of all the Cray supercomputers ever built. I don't think the latest from AMD or Intel has the balls for the job, even if you networked thousands together). You'd also need the software for displaying the imagery, and somehow I don't think Photoshop will fit the bill.
    The USGS will sell you imagery, but it's expensive, and it certainly won't be real-time.
    I believe the French have a satellite (or satellites) called GOES. They sell imagery as well (supposedly to Saddam during Gulf War I), but again, it's expensive, and even if you pay top-dollar it won't be real-time.
    Terraserver uses imagery taken from the Space Shuttle IIRC back in the mid-to-late 90's. It's got decent coverage (certain areas of Nevada are unavailable, along with other places of interest in the Midwest... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif), and some interesting stuff too (occasionally, de-classified no-BS reconnaissance imagery from the bad old days of the Cold War), but it's nothing spectacular. I DL'd the imagery of my neighborhood; I can tell that my garage is detached from my house, and that my driveway is concrete while the neighbors' are asphalt. That's about as good as the resolution gets.

Bottom-line: There's no real-time source of satellite imagery of stuff you want to see, when you want to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next you're gonna tell us there ain't no Santa Claus...

Rene

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

ok thats cool, i was just going from what one of my buddies told me about a guy he knew, thanks, chris

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Next you're gonna tell us there ain't no Santa Claus...

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't say that... But I do have reliable information stating that the Tooth Fairy is a parental fabrication to soothe their childrens' feelings after a part of their body falls out.

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I was at the county fair this year they had a booth set-up that did exactly what he said, you could view someones house and I mean very clearly and up close, any place for that matter.

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But I do have reliable information stating that the Tooth Fairy is a parental fabrication to soothe their childrens' feelings after a part of their body falls out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ... so where's the "Knee Fairy" or the "Lower Back Fairy"??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... so where's the "Knee Fairy" or the "Lower Back Fairy"???

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know... But if you should see them, send those fawkers my way; THEY OWE ME BIG-TIME!!

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I was at the county fair this year they had a booth set-up that did exactly what he said, you could view someones house and I mean very clearly and up close, any place for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... I wonder if there's some company with aerial imagery (taken from an airplane) available, rather than satellite imagery.

Were the pics real-time, or were they older?

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It was done with satellite and real time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

IIRC it was Lawerence Livermore labratory that had the booth set-up.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It was done with satellite and real time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

IIRC it was Lawerence Livermore labratory that had the booth set-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww jeez, that explains it! They do all kinds of high-speed secret gummint research at Livermore!

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif