Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Satellite Radio Guru's, Likers, etc...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTChevy, Jul 20, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was searching around and decided I would like to get satellite radio before I head off to school. I was thinking Sirius. My question is do I go with the plug and play FM transmitter whatever that works with any headunit and has its own unit? Or do I get a sat. radio ready headunit and the box that connects to it with c-net cable? I am about due for a new headunit in my DD anyways and read the quality is better if it is wired with the box. But then its restricted to that one vehicle. What are the pro's and con's with going both ways? persuade me to one side guys. thanks

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

sirius is the way to go definetly... get one of the plug and play ones that puts out an FM signal for your head unit to pick up. that way you can take it from vehicle to vehicle...

3. MTChevy

how much worse is the quality? when searching i seen that there is a hiss?

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bought xm and ended up canceling because some of the channels started getting comercials. And xm doesn't cover as many sports ie hockey, and basketball. I will be switching to sirius, and getting a fm transmitter that plugs into the antenna(35 bucks) the built in tuner sucks if you travel more then 2 hrs, you useually have to change the station like 4 times

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

the quality of sound you get from the FM modulator unit is not going to be top notch, but if you don't have a high end, clear quality sounding system in your truck, it will work fine.

It's what i use in the rig for work everyday, and it serves it's purpose, but if i put it in the Burb, it really sounds like crap,,,basically FM.

Whereas my XM unit which it part of the setup in the Burb, hardwired and whatnot, sounds as good as CD quality.

Definately go with Sirius though, IMO, they have a better music selection, i have had the XM in the Burb for a few years, and will be getting rid of it as soon as i can get the new headunit to accept Sirius.:D

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wife has plug and play with FM , decent quality up to the limit of FM ( FM stops 15khz , human hearing stops generally at 20khz ) .

I have sat ready head and box that uses rca's and cd changer cord . Better sound quality altogether .

Now the bandwidth is fixed so the talk channels get less than the music channels . So if your listening to talk radio ( I dig channel 144 ) and hear some music its gonna sound like chit during the musical segments . And sound totally awesome on the music channels .

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use the "fm transmitter" and it sounds fine in the Burb (stock stereo" but the quality is not all that great in my car. I have XM, but like most said, I am going to switch to Sirius soon.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My headunit [​IMG] is SIRIUS ready so I added the [​IMG] unit. I prefer not having a extra unit on the dash. Everything is controled by the headunit. Much better sound quality then the FM transmitter thing. See my sig.

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I got a Clarion Sirius receiver with the boombox. I use it in my car with the FM transmitter, but I can bring it in the house for use with the boombox :)

I find the quality in my car to be pretty good for the most part, but sometimes crappy weather, trees, sound walls, aliens and certain types of vortexes will interfere with the reception.

My car came "satellite ready" but I like the option of being able to take the unit from one vehicle to another or to the garage or house or backyard.

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Sirius is definatly the company to go with... better sports, better comedy, etc. We use a plug & play FM transmitter unit and I'm really happy with it. It's really nice being able to take it in any vehicle we're driving in. We take ours in the tow rig, and then when we get to the trail, we toss it into the Chevy and listen on the trail :D

The only downsides to the FM system are:
    1) if somebody in another car has theirs on the same FM channel and you pass them on the highway, it will interfere with yours breifly.
    2) If you're traveling and you come into an area that has a real radio station on the frequency your satellite radio is on,you will get interference too. This is easy to correct simply by changing frequencies.

I have found areas deep in the mountains where satellite signal is non-existant. But it was in a deep canyon with lots of trees and a snow storm so I'm not surprised.

11. pauly383

Speaking of better sports , Nascar comes to Sirius soon . No more missing the race while wheeling :bow:

If only MLB followed suit when their contract is up I would be happy .

12. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One more vote for the 'sat ready + box' - was not at all pleased with the FM modulator type. But I did not try the adaptor to hardwire into the FM antenna.

Sirius here also. Stern and Bubba :D:haha:

13. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Definitely go with Sirius. I have had mine for about 10 months now and I dont know how I lived without it. Sound quality is so much better, no commercials, much more music, I could go on and on. Many of the newer units have a stereo output on them that you can hardwire to your car or use the built in FM modulator (which sucks). Mine is hardwired in the car but can be easily removed and stuck in the Blazer when I want to.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, as i mentioned, i think the FM modulator unit is good for somthing like I use it for, it's in the semi truck, where there is alot of background noise, loud wind, turbo whining all the time, NOT a very high end quality stereo to begin with, works perfectly, and has actually helped me to continue driving for as long as i have......I was getting bored with driving until i got this thing:D

Just don't expect it to sound "awsome" with a high end stereo "system" it won't,,, as in CD quality, it will sound good as mentioned, with as much as FM CAN sound.

That is really the only reason i have both setups currently, XM and Sirius, XM is hardwired with the receiver box under the seat, and until i can convert it over, it will stay activated.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, I found out the antenna doesn't work well on the dash of a '94 Suburban like it does in my Crown Vic.

I have XM, I love it.

I will probably move to Sirius this fall because they have a unit I like better and of course NASCAR.

16. MTChevy

thanks for the replies guys... I think I might get it figured out now

17. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have had both, in my opinion XM has a better selection of music that I like.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sirius has a pretty wide varity.

19. pauly383

Sirius has Gun talk on Saturday and Sunday , channel 144 :thumb:

20. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

They never had that when I had Sirius! Maybe I should activate my old unit and run both.