Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Satellite radio revisted...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjfguitar, Mar 8, 2007.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

has anyone made the FM transmitter setup actually work and not get any interference?

I set mine up in my trucks with direct input into my decks but my dad (he also got Sirius the same time as me to save a few bucks) and insisted in not going with an aftermarket deck because he likes the steering wheel controls to the factory deck.... anyway, he is getting a ton of interference and I have tried about a dozen different blank FM channels.

1. How well does the Fm transmitter work for you?

2. What happens when you go on a road trip, do you have to search for a new channel all the time?

3. Which Sirius channels do you listen to the most? I'm really liking hair nation, buzz saw, hard attack, blue collar comedy, and the playboy channels.

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have XM in my S-Blazer and Im eagerly awaiting the part to arrive so I can wire it direct the fuzz is driving me nuts. Only two stations work for me 88.7 and 98.5 i get way to much fuzz on ALL the rest.

Its funny how with my in home kit it is clear as day and quality is awesome but using the modulator makes it sound that bad.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've witnessed them work great one second and terrible the next. They are basically useless in the city(Philly). Too many pissant little stations and strong signals, they just do not work there. What kind of truck does your dad have? I mean if its a Chevy he could be using the factory head unit likely.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Anyone care to copy the owners manual to one so I can see it, I have one that works with no idea on how it works and I went to sirius.com but they want #'s I don't have...

5. rjfguitar

2001 Dodge Ram. Crotchfield told me there was no way to plug the Sirius in direct with his stocker. I think I have him convinced on an aftermarket deck as he'd rather have Sat. radio that works than steering wheel buttons.:doah:

6. rjfguitar

I have like 5 owners manuals from ordering a ton of car kits. Let me know what you need exactly and I can either just mail you one of my booklets or try and scan a couple pages.:thumb:

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dood that'd be sweet, I'll send you a PM...

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Works just fine, except when I key up my radio........................

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Now we can figure out what those other 16 button's do.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I do get some static in the Burb once in awhile when i use the portable Sirius unit in there, but for the most part the XM that is hardwired directly into the deck is used.....

if you only listen to the Sirius/XM radio, try removing the antenna from the trucks radio, i use it at work in the rig and there is no antenna due to other drivers tagging it with trees and whatever else they can find...

no antenna would try to pick up less radio noise from local stations.

mine works great so far. :D

11. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing in my car. Just remove the antenna mast from your car/truck it works alot better.

12. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Sirius came in the new truck ( free 1 yr ).

Jury is still out on if I want to pay 13 bucks a month to listen to the radio.:rolleyes:

I do like the selection of stations...I seem to hang out on buzzsaw,rawdog,hair nation,octane...:bow:

they all seem to play the same playlist to often though....it's easy to get bored with one channel quickly...:doah:

Just my .02

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's why you need to diversify:haha:

14. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

15. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

You CAN still use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket radio. You have to buy an extra module that IIRC was around $80.

You wouldnt happen to know if his factory radio has provisions for a tape deck or anything do you? My stock stereo in my Mazda had an extra input on the back to hook up a mini disc player or a tape deck. I bought a chip online that plugged into it and allowed me to hardwire my Sirius player to it.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You're not paying to actually listen to the radio, that's where people are getting confused at,,,,you are paying to NOT listen to 45 minutes commercials at one time....basically you are paying for that commercial spot :D so you can listen to MORE MUSIC :laugh:

I personally love it, obviously, i have both, and would never listen to broadcast again.

I just hope they don't screw this thing up if they do go through with the merger.

17. rjfguitar

Nope, nothing on the backside. That is what crotchfield said and I even have my stock deck sitting in front of me (my dad has an identical truck with the same deck mine had) and I cna confirm no inputs.

I've also checked into the steering wheel module dooooobober... I was told by a stereo shop where I asked about them, that they are basically a waste of time as they don't work very well. Anyone used that "wireless" button module?

18. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

My coworker has a cheap Sirius reciever w/ modulator that he brings to work and uses in a fleet of various F450's without issue. The trucks have Motorola radios and factory AM/FM decks in them. No issues in or out of town.

When driving in a caravan, everyone within a pretty good distance picks it up too.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You should look into one of these direct wire modulators instead of the wireless ones. It plugs into the antenna input of the stereo, and the antenna plugs into it. There's no intereference in that case unless you're 5 feet away from a high power FM transmitter and the radio has a cheap front end.

If you have a transmitter modulator that's close to the antenna (not the radio itself, but the antenna), and you're still getting a poor signal, then your transmitter isn't putting out enough power. Check for poor wiring or a bad antenna connection on the transmitter. Sometimes these part 15 devices are just poor quality and don't get the job done. I've had trouble with wireless FM modulators being reliable at full power, unless they're like a foot away form the antenna, which kinda beats the purpose of being wireless.
    The sound quality decrease after going through a modulator might be because normal broadcast stations use pre-emphasis in their transmitters, and your car receiver uses de-emphasis. The FM modulator may not be pre-emphasizing the audio, but the reciever is still de-emphasizing it.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had my Sirius on FM transmitter for about a month. I HATED it. I went back to listening to normal radio because I could never get it to come in without fuzz if it would come in at all. I bought one of the tape deck adapters for mine and it works great now.

Harley