Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Satillite tracing (blazer theft)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Aug 24, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

This is worth looking into. I was watching the news this morning and someone stole one of those Cadillac Escelades (sp?) from a dealership and it had the onboard navigation center with some sorta satillite thing. The dealership called police and they were able to track this "suv" with the satillite thingamajig. They new exactly where it was and found the vehical and caught the guys whole stole it.
    Since our beloved K5's are popular with thieves, how could we do this just so when we report it stolen, the police can find it and hopefully find it before it is wrecked, joyrided, or dismantled?

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You could install the LOJACK system, designed to track stolen vehicles, but will cost some $$. The smarter theives will soon figure out how to disable the ONSTAR system in the new GM vehicles. A lot of people have started to get nervous about the "big brother" aspects of ONSTAR. If they can find a thief, they also know where YOU are at all times.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

3. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

We used to use a simular thing on our heavy equipment in the early 90's . It worked great and was not very expensive (compared to a 50k - 100k piece of machinery). I think it's a great idea, but I've never seen it advertised for cars. If you find a aftermarket company, please post it here.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.lojack.com/>http://www.lojack.com/</a>

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

I will pass on giving anyone the ability to track me, or control anything on my vehicle from a remote location. A key'd brake locking system and a ignition diconnect will keep the vehicle from rolling away, or at least make it harder for someone to roll away with it. God have mercy on the fool who lets me catch them try'n....

6. muddin4fun

Do I seriously have to talk to a dealership to get prices? I did a search on who all sells them and they are all new car dealerships *grumbling*
    I don't want them putting their icky new "suv" germs on me or my truck...*more grumbling*
    They'll prolly try and talk me into letting them install it. I hate it when people tell me it would be better if they installed it. [​IMG]
    Anyone know a ball park figure?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

7. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The OnStar unit is available on most GM vehicles as an option and Caddy's pretty much as standard equipment. Earlier units used Omega positioning systems but newer units are GPS (Omega was the first attempt at using satellites for navigation). As another note in this same subject, most all rental cars now have a variant of this same system installed and some even have minature microphones to pick up conversations. Just my nickel and a heads up.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.....Big Brother. YOU BET!

Don't forget, any GPS-based telemetry system can keep track of all the locations that you drive to, what time of day you drive.....the routes you take, and YES how fast you are driving to get there!!!

While I think it might be fun to have a GPS for myself.....I'm not sure I want it "beaming" such information about me back to a monitoring facility (On-Star) or anyone else!

I could have sworn I read a story about a guy who rented a car with a GPS installed. Because the GPS was tracking his driving habits, they were able to determine that he had been doing some SERIOUS speeding, and I think he was even issued a speeding ticket! Ultimately the case was thrown out....I believe, but it does demonstrate that there is always someone looking for ways to "keep tabs on you"

-Greg72

"I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't always out to get me!!!!...." [​IMG]

9. muddin4fun

Maybe I should keep the dog in the truck and teach her how to load and shoot a 12 guage? [​IMG]

I just want to be able to find my Joleen if she gets stolen [​IMG].

10. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Does it track invisible blazers [​IMG]?

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

11. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

I can see it now some tree hugger at green police headquarters tracking my K5 making sure no poor helpless grass gets run over.
    Dog +Gun = [​IMG]

<font color=red>I didnt climb to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian</font color=red>

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ha ha that's funny Sly...! [​IMG]

It's actually a good idea. I don't like the big brother thing but I do like this idea... you are driving along to go for a hike. (Sometimes I go alone on them to take pictures because if I bring someone they get annoying I am standing around waiting for the right light etc...) You get there and hike in and then get lost. If they use that tracking thing they can tell where you are in the general area. I know it's not smart to go anywhere without saying to someone but we all have done it. We all have wanted to escape everyone for a few hours. To me for that reason I like it... I also have been driving to Tahoe and Reno and have seen way fresh skid marks off the side of the highway. I always try to stop out of what if someone went over the edge and there they sit. It does and can happen... I mean some lady sat upside in her car for 2 days on her way to Tahoe. If she had had tracking they'd found her right away. Stuff like that makes me wonder about buying it besides the theft prevention part. I mean if I can nail someones hide to the wall for stealing Lord knows I would want too and enjoy that! I'll probably add this to my list of wants that's now climbing sky high! [​IMG]

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got a handy little starter kill deal - It's basically a microchip that plugs in under the dash. You pull it out when you aren't driving. No chip, no start. It's even impossible to hotwire it without the little thing. Mine was a dealer installed option, made by ATS. I also had a similar system made by ProLock on my F150.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

There is a lot you can do to make your truck incovient to steal. The fact of the matter is if a pro wants it, he is going to get it. How many times do you go rushing to a car alarm that isnt yours? The best ways to keep your rig from being taken by everyday Joe thief is to place a seperate iginition circut in, as stated earlier or by installing removable pins in the 4x shifter( shift it into neutral and then take the shifter with you). By passing that elec. circut is easy but you have to know how to do it. PM me and I will hint you to it. I have tested the brake pedal lock that is being advertized and it was a good deterant. If you have rusted floors it aint for you. Nuff said about that. LoJak is a system that is proven and tested. However it is only as good as the guys tracking it. I.E. if the cops are tied up then your truck will be found when its convient for them. Also since all these electronic systems are vehicular grounded. What happens when the theif uses a shorting device. I have been trained to by pass alot of systems and nothing is TOTALLY theif proof. Especially if they have a Knight lift.

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I think the simplest theft deterent (for an electric fuel pump setup) is the switch that kills the power to the fuel pump. Gas tank reads empty and the truck won't start. Who wants to steal a car that has no gas and just cranks?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 08/24/01 01:50 PM.</FONT></P>

16. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Well I think we have one of the simplest vehicles in the world to hot wire. A buddy of mine had his 78 Scottsdale stolen out of his driveway and it took the guy about 30 seconds to get it running. He popped the lock pried the steering column pushed the little switch deal and drove off. Luckily the guy was a moron and ended up driving into a ditch(seems he couldnt handle 38s) Im sure the play in the steering wheel freaked him out.

We got the truck back that night and it was only a couple of blocks from his house.

I dont think there is a fool proof way to keep your rig from getting snatched but I have seen some nifty ideas for a switch hidden (under the carpert or so on) that the vehicle wont turn over unless its held down. I seen it in a Monte Carlo SS. There was a button under the carpet that you had to hold down with your foot and turn the key to get it to crank. But the fact is if someone wants it bad enough they will take it, or get shot in the A** trying.

It's pretty sad when you think about working on your rig all the time and some punk wants to joy ride it and tears all you have accomplished to pieces in a matter of minutes.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

17. muddin4fun

I have a mechanical fuel pump though....

18. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Then switch over to electric [​IMG]

19. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

i personally think lojack is a good system. i deal with lojacks and every time a car is stolen, even when we are not looking for them, the alarm sounds in our radio car. it is only tracked when you report the vehicle stolen. as for alarm devices, there are plenty of home made remedies, even if you dont have an electeric fuel pump. you can splice hiden switches to kill the power to either you coil or your starter. or the hard way it to pull the coil wire out every time you leave your vehicle. the problem is that if a thief wants your vehicle bad enough, HE WILL GET IT. one time in band camp, a car was stolen and and the thief left the club in the steering wheel of the car that it was parked to. i thought that was pretty funny.

20. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

well the if you want nobody ot steal your truck i mean nobody then theres only one to do it....... hire BIG BIG BIG GUy t o sit in it with a shoot gun and Mean dog [​IMG] but there is alot of good ways to slow them down as it was stated chevy are pretty easy to steal fords are easyers being a well schooled kid in cars i have learned the ins and outs of hotwireing and what not theres no way to kept some frome stealing it theres good ideas to slow them down i think the idea i liek is the hidden start up button almost to simple to be checked for t eh tracking systems are good too plus if you dont want big brother tracking you shut it off only turn it on when you leave your truckect. if you want more ideas i have tons i grew up in hangin out wiht my brothers horrible friends so.... anyway im done [​IMG]

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]