Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saved by travelling junk box......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, May 18, 2002.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I travel with a set of tools and a milk crate full of "junk"......Took a road trip from Dallas to Clarksville Ark this past weekend (5 hours).....got set up at the hotel, and set off to the family reunion....when I pulled out ot the parking lot, I felt a familiar vibration....so I turned it around and parked as it was getting dark......next morning I dropped my driveshaft and found the front Ujoint had a dry and severely damaged bearing cap.....I slipped the broken slip yoke I always carry into the T case to keep it from dripping....drove out the broken joint, and replaced it with the one in my "junk" box......funny how the wife doesn't call it "junk" anymore.....

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

My buddy's call my truck auto zone on wheels. Travelling 600 + mile weekends across the state constantly luck would have it I will break down. Well not so far considering I keep up with all maintainence plus some. However, farmer bill who is pulling a big gooseneck loaded down with hay bails who forgets to check his slow radiator leak on his 99 Frued and is scooping water out of a ditch to use in his radiator is thankful when I pull up and give him 3 gallons of fresh water i keep in old radiator bottles in the back filled with hose water for those situations. Water is used most often of all the stuff i have back there...I think everyone should carry atleast a gallon of water. I also am amazed at how many people don't have jumper cables, tools period, and a junk box as you say. I have about 4 extra u-joints, 4 cans of carb cleaner, a jack, a portable brass tipped blow torch, soldering gun with power invertor, a 25ft extension cord, my spare, fluids...etc etc! I just get a kick out of helping people with newer / model year cars when I am driving something 18yrs old and having a more reliable vehicle.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had my junk collection save me in Wyoming last year. My alternator pivot bolt broke off flush at the head. After some head scratching and digging I found an old 5" 'C' clamp and used it to tension the alternator. Even though it was runing at an angle the belt survived and I was able to drive from Laramie WY to Clearfield UT without any trouble. In Clearfield Twiztid hooked me up with a new bolt and spacer bracket /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Good point on the water!! I always carry 2 gallons in old USFS canteen packs - the one time I didn't have them with me I blew a radiator hose and had to do the ditch water and an old 44oz Big Gulp trick.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got one of those too...one of the bolt holes for my tranny pan got stripped, and now I have the bolt in all the way, but it won't tighten, and a C-clamp on the bolt...so far has worked great...started leaking a few weeks ago.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I gotta find that pic...
    I know it's here somewhere. I've been tring to dump that off, for what.... a year now!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well I hope your pic turned out...my camera was busted before I could snap a good pic/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks again Eric! You really came through that night...I have no idea where I'd have found those parts if you hadn't of helped! I can't believe that was a year ago already...

Rene