Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saved from the auction block.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whassup, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

I made enough by selling my other truck to take the K5 off the market. I'm planning on stripping it and using it for off-raod fun only. I got one question though, it has a 12 bolt rear, i'm impressed with it's strength to handle what i've put it through, but the front end (which was broke when i first goti it and still is) is a 10 bolt, or appears to be so. has anyone heard of this combonation, or could I be mistaking it's identity? does the next step up have a 10 bolt cover on it? i haven't compared the shape of the diff cover with another 10 bolt so i'm in the dark right now.

"There's NO replacement for displacement!"

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Check this out
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml</A>

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Thanks. It is a D44. Is this set up worth a damn when it comes to handling 40" tires?

4. BadDog

IMHO, it is very marginal even when built up if you put 40" tires on it. Especially with a locker. Depending on the use, power, and gear reduction, anything much over 35" is time to start thinking about a D60... Although I'm sure there will be at least 3 replies that disagree. This is a very subjective thing that is totally dependent on what you have and how you use it.

Bad Dog

5. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

My uncle gave me his old 79 K30 ranch truck. Would it be worth swapping the axles from it? It is also running a 454, needs a little tune-up, but runs great. I'm playing with the idea of combining the two (K5 and K30) to make a more than decent offroading K5

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're playing with the idea?????[​IMG] I'd be on that like ugly on a gorilla....You have everything necessary to make a K30 Blazer, bomb-proof.
    I'd use the big block too (duh!) this is such a no-brainer. I'd swap all the 1/2 ton drivetrain into the pick-up and sell it, who knows you might make a few bucks in the process!

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Here is another question. Will a 400 tranny fit a 454? what flexplate will i have to use? I know a guy parting out his old tinker toy that would sell me his 400 for cheap. shift kit, manual valve body, heavy duty band, the works. will it work? please say yes!

8. BadDog

Ditto what Rene said. Yes, the 400 will bolt up to a 454 and if the 454 already has an auto flywheel it should be fine. However, your problem will be in hooking it to the tcase. That setup is going to pretty much require a NP205 and finding one to go behind a 400 is rather rare = $$$. The K30 should already have the TH400 (unless it is a manual) and 205 though...

Bad Dog

9. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

It's got a 4 speed in it, but the guy has the 400/205 setup. I'll just snag the whole shebang off him. Well, thnx for the help. Looks like I'll have a muddin truck soon.

10. BadDog

BTW, other than the big block we are talking about almost exactly what I'm doing except that I want a stronger frame than a K5 so I'm cutting down the K30 frame. The only reason I'm not running a 454 is that I wanted fuel injection and 454 + FI blows my budget. As an added benefit, I saved a good bit of weight (trying to convince myself it's better[​IMG]). In your case though, with one on hand, as Rene said, I'd be "all over that..."

Bad Dog

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like you'll have a BOMB-PROOF muddin truck soon![​IMG] by the way you suck! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    If a free Dana 60 fell out of the sky, with my luck it would land on me!

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

12. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Right on. What I have in the works here is a 1984 K5 Blazer Custom Deluxe, 454BB, TH-400/NP 205, D60 front w/ ARB, 14FF rear w/ Detroit, 2 ton driveshafts, 6" suspension lift, 2" body lift and all of it rollin on 40" Boggers. Any suggestions? Ideas ya want to throw my way that you've wanted to try but not had time or money, but still want to know if it works? I'm open to suggestions, all i got is time, and money is not a problem now that my loans are paid off.

13. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

new bumper and winch mount seem necessary unless already equipped.

have fun

phill

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm open to suggestions, all i got is time, and money is not a problem now that my loans are paid off

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah when you get done with the build up you can give it to me and start over. I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem with all that time and money on your hands. lol[​IMG].

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I run 39.5X18 Boggers on my Chevys, and I'm worried that your 6" plus 2" lift will not be enough. I have 6" Superlift springs, 3 3/8" body lift, 1/4" Offroad Design HD front shackle lift (get these), and the Dana 60 front inherent 3/4" perch lift. I had to do major fender trimming in order to do real wheelin'. It's OK now, though, with that 10 3/8" lift and fender trimming. Fender trimming is great! Consider more lift for those big, wide Boggers! You can always add a hockey puck if you already bought 2" blocks. See my trucks at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigerikK5.coloradoK5.com>http://www.bigerikK5.coloradoK5.com</A>. Might have to flip back and forth to get pictures to load.

16. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

The fenders are already trimmed to fit 38" tires with a 6" lift. A friend of mine had the same setup on a Jimmy he just sold. The rubber never made contact with the bodywork on his.

I like my trucks BIG, my women HOT, and my Budweiser COLD!