Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saw a cool trailer at the Good Guys show yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe I'm just crawling out from under a rock on this topic, but I saw a vendor at the Good Guys show yesterday that makes a trailer where the deck actually shifts and tilts to allow the vehicle to load without ramps.

It ws a pretty slick looking setup, and had some nice features (upfacing deck lights) small, lockable storage boxes for straps, etc, electric brakes....the deck width was 78" and I think the space between the fenders was 84". I'm not sure how wide they'd need to be for a lifted K5 to fit without doing the "remove a fender" trick, but who knows? I think it was around $3500.

Anyway, I also saw some old Willy's Jeeps (I think)....took a few pictures of those. If anyone cares I can post them. Also saw lots of cool fabrication stuff....and a couple of old 3-door Suburbans with airbags and big wheels.

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

We want pics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!!!!!!

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Was the trailer similar to one like this:

[​IMG]

I think it would make a great trailer for lifted trucks. Alot better than a regular deck over would keep the truck lower the the ground, ie less wind drag from the K5 being so high in the air.

Eric

4. Greg72

Sort of.....

Cut that pic down to an 18' trailer, and make it a std. ball hitch style.... oh, and paint it red.

Then you'd have it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

So more like this, only red, and with different pin-striping, and ........

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Greg72

Just about....the part of the deck that touches the ground was cut with a taper underneath, so there was no "ramp" looking thing like in that pic.

It sure seemed like it could handle even a really low-slung car as well as a big K5.

Now if I only had a place to store it..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

This could be a GREAT multi-purpose trailer. Nice deck to haul junk on and a nice trailer to haul MY junk on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Beats the dedicated rig trailer I was looking at.

I may have to look into these when I get the tow rig...

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Those are some decent looking trailers. I couldn't find any prices on that site. Any ideas?

9. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Thats a nice trailer. It's too bad that a K5 can't fit between the fenders with the large tires on.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Canady Trailers here in town sells them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That's a good place to buy. I bought my last trailer from them and got a really good deal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've seen a place on the web out of Missouri, can't remember the name though, that sells trailers like that. They go anywhere from $1500 - $2200 IIRC. Really nice looking stuff. Looks to be really though. I like that design a lot too!

Kris

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

anyway you can get the name of that place??

Also, I've talked with a couple companies and they say the only problem they have with those, is that when loading all of the weight is on ONE axle, and after 4 or 5 years, the axle starts to bend /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif if you only have a 7000lb trailer and you are constintly loading a 6000lb+ truck on one axle rated at 3500lbs, I guess that could put some stress on it.
    I've never checked one of those styles out up close though. I'd like to know more about them though!

14. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

15. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I found the trailer HERE, I can't find any links to their web page. You can search for "car hauler" or "utility trailer" and this guy will pop up all over the place. Might try sending him an email. Nice looking trailers. Sorry I couldn't get you the exact link. I looked for well over half an hour.

Kris

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

How would loading it be any different than loading a normal trailer? I dont know if the suspension is any different on that kind of trailer but it seems like it would be the same as a normal one.

17. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Suspension looks the same as any normal trailer or dovetail. It just looks like it pivots instead of being attached. The pins that hold the platform down look to be pretty sturdy. I think its a pretty slick design.

Kris

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

First, does the tilt bed trailer cost more? If so, why would you spend the money to put a truck that can climb vertical walls on it......? It seems to me that a regular low profile trailer with a gooseneck hitch would be ideal... Low center of gravity and maybe a little more beffy since it doesn't have to pivot OR rotate.... Just beef up the fender wells and drive over them! Just my $.02! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

That is what I was thinking as well. Also, I know 'normally' you drive up onto the trailer, but we have had to PUSH a car or truck upon my trailer several time cause it was being worked on or because it broke down (which is why my new trailer will have a winch on it eventually ) Regardless of the reason, how would you push a vehicle up on a tilt trailer? Seems almost impossible, it'd be like pushin it up a steep hill!
    I mean with the tilt, you dont have to pull out the ramps every time, but damn, if you are that lazy, I think you have other issues that need to be dealt with first/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    And if you have a dove tail with ramps, you can get a 'lower' vehicle on fairly easy withought taking out the front bumper...

Could you put a winch on a tilt deck trailer? I guess on the edge of the tilt at the front you could have a roller for the line to feed over without rubbing on the edge, but once the tilt start tilting forward, you'd have a bunch of slack in the line and then a mess!

Maybe for a show car or a trailer you'll ONLY be hauling 'running' equipment on they'd be nice and practical, but for an all around do it all type trailer, I think the flat deck with dovetail is the way to go...

20. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anyway you can get the name of that place??

Also, I've talked with a couple companies and they say the only problem they have with those, is that when loading all of the weight is on ONE axle, and after 4 or 5 years, the axle starts to bend /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif if you only have a 7000lb trailer and you are constintly loading a 6000lb+ truck on one axle rated at 3500lbs, I guess that could put some stress on it.
    I've never checked one of those styles out up close though. I'd like to know more about them though!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I dig this. I have a couple of low-low cars (didn't someone recently say "Let the Bling run free...???") as well as a mildly lifted K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But in regard to the above quote, isn't the same true even if you load with ramps??? At some point during loading, isn't the vehicle always 'teetering' primarily over the rear axle? Can someone draw me a static diagram of the critical load point in each case? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Sal