Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saw a motorcycle post-wreck today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 1, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was riding my bike up to my daughters soccer game with the ball and a box of munchkins in the saddlebags. I cut through a shopping center parking lot and as I rode up to the back driveway, I saw a driverless jeep in the middle of it, and a smashed up minivan still in the road. It had *just* happened, no police or spectators yet.
    I yelled to some lady asking if everyone was all right, then was going to turn around and split when I saw the jeep wasn't involved, so I was wondering where the other vehicle was. I peaked through some bushes and saw a sport bike on it's side way up on the grass, fairly far from the crash site.
    I parked and went over to the guy, but he was on his cell already, lying on the grass looking like he was in some pain, more people were gathering and I heard someone else calling for an ambulance for him already.
    I asked him how he was, what happened, and just momentarily hung out. He said he was just riding straight and she turned left right in front of him, he had nowhere to go. I shut off his bike and picked up a couple of the big pieces of fairing that were on the street and put them over by his bike. A woman nearby looked at me all angry and said "He was just driving strait and this woman in the van turned right in front of him! I saw the whole thing!" I thought this lady was going to go smack the minivan driver...

I went back to my bike for a minute, the minivan driver caught up to me and said "You guys on your motorcycles just ride so fast and crazy! He was trying to swerve around me and..."
    I didn't know if she was accusing me, trying to reduce some guilt that she just nearly killed someone, trying not to look terrible to me, or what, so I just interrupted her and said "I wasn't here, I don't know what happened, but I know people in cars often don't see bikes or misjudge a motorcycle's distance. But he's not dead or doesn't appear to have broken bones, so it's not that bad." (I was assuming no broken bones cause he was moving around so much).

The bike was TRASHED. I'm guessing she got in front of him while he was at a decent speed, and somehow he nailed the front side of the minivan, then kept going another 150 feet where the bike hit a guy wire for a utility pole. I'm guessing by the antifreeze trail, it dumped right after impact and he slid that whole way.
    The rider was thrown from the bike, knocked out of one shoe, and the visor on his helmet broke off, and the helmet looked road-rashed. By the time I left, cops were cutting off his pant leg and his legs were all cut up. He was wearing an armored jacket, helmet, and armored gloves, all of which probably significanlty reduced his injuries, helmet probably saved his life.

What really irked me and got right under my skin was that 7 cops showed up (in different cars), and they immediately started breaking the bike riders' chops. He was a black guy on a sport bike. I know I've considered most of them a-holes en masse when driving my car, but alone, they're not showing off and pretty decent aboutthe road. Whether this guy was right or wrong didn't matter immediately, the cops immediately started badgering the guy. "How fast were you going? Did she have a signal on?" and their attitude was like he was the one that screwed everything up.

They asked for his MC license and he said "The licensed guy I was riding with kept going". Well crap, the guys' out on his permit and wrecked, you don't need half a brain to know his line is BS. Not good, but I think the cop would've been more effective not immediately taking an accusatory approach to him and looking for the bad thing he did. I'm not bashing cops, I'm just really disappointed at the obvious stereotype they must have immediately cast on him.

So seeing as how I'm riding around on my permit, and I've seen fairly courteous behavior from other drivers around here, this wreck has been bugging me all day... Not enough to make me stop riding, but I'm thinking twice about the t-shirt and gloveless riding I'm so comfortable with now.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I came up on a bad one once myself. It too had just happened, .. in fact the dust was still in the air... and I had just seen one of the drivers leaving a nieghborhood I was in. She went out a different exit, or I would have been right behind her. Anyway, she (it happened to be my friends girlfriend) too turned in front of the guy on the bike. He was going so fast she never saw him coming. (not trying to justify it or anything.. ) He hit her so hard it spun the volvo she was driving around almost a full 360. I pulled into the parking lot she had turned into and went to check on the guy who was laying in the street, and when I went to step off the curb, his whole right arm, from the top of his shoulder down was laying in the right lane next to the curb. :yikes: There was a guy and a woman dressed in scrubs who were attending to him, so I asked a kid there to run down to this pizza place a couple of hundred yards down to get a bag of ice for the arm. When he got back we just layed it in the bag of ice and gave it to the ambulance when they got there.

The guy on the bike turned out to be some kid (16 yo) that was a friend of the bike owner. He wanted to take it for a spin down the road real quick. He got about 500 yards. :( I think one of the worst parts was that within a few minutes, there were a bunch of kids there that knew him etc. It was a mess.

While looking at the wrecked car, I concluded that when he hit the side of her car.. his front wheel jerked to the left, and left his rt. arm out (as though he was still holding the handlebar) and his hand broke through the passenger side window. Once his shoulder hit the post between the front door and the rear door it severed his arm. He passed away on arrival to the hospital. Even with all the wrecks I've seen in the FD.. this wreck happened when I was a teen back in about 86 or so, and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anybody wanna buy a bike? mine's for sale now. :eek1:

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Those little super bikes are scary things.

I've personally be in two accidents involving a superbike.

Once, I was in the city sitting at a red light, when some dude on a superbike on the other side of the road launched too hard, and hit the back of his bike on the ground. It tossed him off, and the bike wound up hitting my driver's side wheel. Didn't do any damaged to my truck, and only bent his handlebars. He told me that he'd cover his own bike costs, since there was no damage to my truck, and that he didn't want to get the insurance company involved, so I got him to put it in writing, and sign it with two witnesses who saw it in their cars, then went on my way.

Other time was a bit more serious. I was crusing home one night after school, there was one of those bikes behind me, wanted to pass me cause I was doing the limit, but couldn't cause there was a bunch of oncoming traffic. He decided to be an idiot and pass me on the right in the shoulder. However, he dropped off the side of the road, and trying to get back on he lost it and wiped out right infront of me. I slammed on my brakes, and narrowly missed running him over. He totalled his bike, and hurt himself real bad. I stayed until the ambulance got there, gave my witness report, then went home shaking my head. If the idiot had waited another 5 minutes, there was a passing lane he coulda used. He was very lucky I didn't run him over!

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the reall thing is that almost no one can handle the power of a superbike, let a lone the kid who start out on them.

i try to be cutious to bikers, as they dont get it much. but when i see them going inbetween the lanes in trafic it bust my balls, my co worker cut one off as 3 of his buddys just when buy us, was all pissed like he had the right to do it.

i wouldent mind a small street bike to ride around on but insurance is too much

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

one big problem i find with the bike group of yungins is it wont happen to me. or it is still safe . i saw what happened after the fact of a stupid biker riding a wheelie at about 90 or so and the bald cords showing back tire let go. lucky for his a$$ he walked away. then a nother time same dumby hit the back of a truck with tailgate down so hard it threw him in the back and shut the gate at the same time and he was out cold for a few seconds.

comeon people use comon sence both driving bikes and other vehicles . look out for each other.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

How do you figure? If you don't ride like a retard, a sport bike is fine, what you should have said, is almost no one can USE the power of a street bike.
    My first bike was a CBR929RR no wrecks, i put 13K miles on that bike.

people like you get their rear view mirrors taken off by people like me that actually ride bikes, and have the experience to talk about riding,
    it is all fun and games for people in cars to play around and be stupid with bikes, while the bikes are splitting lanes, what most people fail to realize, if you hit some one on a bike, with a 3,000 or more pound car no matter what speed the bike rider is going to get hurt, and that **** is just stupid :mad: :mad:

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I saw a guy on the maine turnpike this summer going northbound while we were coming southbound. Some minivan made a lane change into the lane he was in. It happened so quick that I couldn't tell you if the van or bike were going faster. Van could have been passing the bike on the right or bike coming up on the van when the van switched lanes. But either way the van ended up where the bike allready was and the guy dumped the bike. 65mph speed limit. They seemed to be going with the flow so probably 70mph give or take. The guy slid on his butt from the 3rd lane he was in, across the fourth lane and hit the guard rail. It was like he was looking straight at us as he slid. He didn't even look hurt, just sliding along on his butt almost in a sitting up position. When his body hit the guard rail it was over instantly. I will never forget that view. He only had a tshirt, jeans and work boots on. I won't get into the details but I can say for sure he never felt anything after he hit that guardrail, it was lights out fast.
    I was on my way home from camping with 3 friends. We were all happy and relaxed from a nice fishing trip with friends. That accident made a happy trip very somber fast. We had to get off the highway and hit LLbean for a little walk to get the blood flowing again.

9. sweetk30

so let me get this correct buddy. you say look out for us bike boys and also we know how to ride. and buy the way we will take off your side mirror if you cut us off when we are clearly breaking the law on the highways going up the middle of cars or side sholders.

this is the idea i just got from your thread. please clearify your coment please as some of use might not under stand your coment. :confused:

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

not all of them know how to ride, thats for shure, but, do you think it is cool to play chicken with a guy on a bike?
    also splitting lanes is not illegal in all states, i dont know the laws in all states, but my understanding it is leagal in cali. i could be wrong.
    if i see a bike splitting lanes regardless of weather it is leagal or not, i pull over to afford the bike rider as much room as possibile.

11. sweetk30

just seems kind of stupid to me to be a total of around 600-700 lbs and want to cut lanes with stuff that is well over 2000k lbs and up. in my opinon just cause i am stuck in trafic you dont have the right to budge in front of me . :mad:

in my state you as a road riding person of any kind of vehicle must obay all laws and go with the flow of traffic .

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what i should have said Is no one needs(non racing) the power of a super bike, and if something goes wrong you ant gunna stop it.

read what I said again, i said a coworker who was driving did so.

bikes should never split lanes although i wouldnever intentinaly cut a biker off, i dont check for some dumb ass weaveing though lane befor i change lanes, bike vs a suburban, i think i am going to win.

should i have the right to tear up the sholder or grass next to a road to pass you because i have a suburban and can?

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

why whats the big deal?
    you dont like sitting in traffic? buy a bike

14. sweetk30

( RIDERS ) like you get hurt and give the good riders a bad name. sorry but thats how i feal. and if i hade the ability to ride one safely and even wanted one i would not have one for the fact it is just to dangeruse in my opinon anymore in my area.

warning = :eek1: just my opinon take it as you wish. this is the last coment in this thread from me as it is getting to pi$$y for me.:ignore:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i dont have a problem, but biker and every once elce need to obay the laws of the road, you have a biker doing 70 mph on a windy road and he wipes its stupid biker, you have a soccer mom make a left hand turn into or in front of a biker, stupid mini van driver.

you cant tell me you(if youride) or anyone elce had the refexes to respont if someone changes lanes in trafic in front of you.

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no you cant, but that wasn't my point,
    i get pissed when people in cars intentionally try to cut off bikers, it's just stupid, especially givin the very real possibility of killing the person on the bike

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'll guarantee its illegal in Jersey... and stupid everywhere else...

i can't believe you would advocate that... a bike splitting lanes loses all my respect and deserves anything he gets...

not that someone should intentionally screw with em.. but if they get in an accident, its totally there fault..

as a biker i would think you would want to promote a better image... i certainly look down on any biker that feels he has the right to ride illegally and recklessly because he's too lazy or priviledged to wait in traffic...

18. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have seen a few nasty bike wrecks.people here in alaska just dont seem to see them.i have riden for years and so far have been lucky and managed to avoid all the idots.i do see a lot of dumb-asses riders cutting in traffic and give them plenty of room because i wouldnt want to be the reason one of them was hurt.worse one i saw hit a older station wagon then the curb and caught fire.not good.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

so dont split lanes, or dont come down on people (NOT ME) who cut off bikers.

what about bikers that go really fast as in massive exces of the limit is that ok because they can given the very real possibility of killing any one they hit.

Btw i can find some pic of supe bick inside car and the grusome deaths of those inside aswell as the biker

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

butt head? really? i didn't personally attack you once in this thread, but you seem to feel the need to start name calling like a 3 year old in a sand box.

could it be that it is to dangerous to ride around your area because of people like you that seem to think it is ok to cut people on motorcycles off? :thinking: :doah:

i don't advocate it at all, i don't care either way, when i rode i did it, and if i see a guy riding i will give him all the room he needs to get by, not try to cut him off. that is dangerous and stupid IMHO. also it is LEGAL to do it in some states

well thats good, i am glad you don't do it, but saying i shouldn't come down on people that do, well , i disagree. If i see something that i feel is wrong, i will try to do something about it.
    Bikers that go way to fast, that is a different story, those guys are stupid, but I'm pretty shire they aren't going to kill anyone but themselves, if they hit a car, chances are the person in the car will be just fine. There are always exceptions though