Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saw a new antiwrap idea that looked pretty good

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I was reading in crawl magazine and saw an interesting antiwrap idea. There was a mount on top of the leaf pack directly above the axle with a link that traveled forward to connect just behind the front spring hanger. I studied it a bit and can see how it could work quite well with no apparent binding that I noticed. The only problem you might run into would be not enough clearance between it and the frame. I guess it would just depend on how much bump travel you have.

Anyways just thought I would share the idea with you all. sorry I have no pics but like I said it came from a magazine.

~Max

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

sounds interesting. If you come across pics or crude drawings, post them up

3. gmcman355

gmcman355 Registered Member

did they use a shackle of any sort on this or how exactly did it mount. getting ready to build something for mine and am interested in this idea

4. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

There used to be a (a bit flimsy-looking) kit for that, and I believe I've seen someone on here using and old draglink for that... it's been quite a while, though.

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If both ends are solidly mounted ie. no slider it won't work. Leat springs move in a up and down motion, Ladder bars, four links, coils move in a half moon direction. If the bar is attached at both ends that is how its going to move. That is why they make sliders and stuff because at some point in the movement of the axel it binds.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I fail to see how it wouldn't bind... I'm trying to upload a picture I made in paint quick of what I am picturing. Either way, I just can't see how it wouldn't bind. Especially when you consider that the axle is moving forward as it travels down or backwards as it travels up. Sure the bar will move in a similar arch but by no means the SAME arch.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]

what I am picturing...

8. kgblazerfive

yes but the distance that the axel is what changes. The coil spring could do a circle if if were able to the leaf can only go up and down. Ignore my spelling on my fine drawing:D . The leaf gets longer or shorter when it compresses but it only gets longer in the back the front is fixed. The coil just arcs.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. kgblazerfive

If the front portion of the traction bar on your picture was a slider then it would work. If it was fixed then it would bind. Look at a set of traction bars on a leaf sprung car thay aren't fixed in the front

10. kgblazerfive

Tried to show on your picture

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  11. kgblazerfive

The circle is going to be bigger

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how do you figure? if the leaf spring can change length why in the hell would it not happen in front of the axle? As the leaf spring flattens, the distance from the front spring eye to the center pin(not measured along the springs top because that will obviouslly never change, but rather in a simple horizontal plane) will in fact change.

13. kgblazerfive

Because the shackel is on the back of the spring its not the distance that or the length that makes the bind its the arch of the travel is different between the two types of suspension. The axel in a lieaf spring car moves up and dowm vertically a coil moves in a arc. That is what causes he bind

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok here is the idea in "model" form. I took a straw from a capri sun and bent it like a leaf spring is arched. Marked a spot on the desk and a spot on the straw, we will call this the center pin/axle location. Now I press down a bit on the one end of the straw so it does not move, and let the other end move like it would were it attached to a shackle. Front mount not moving(just like a leaf spring) you can clearly see the "center pin" moved backwards under "compression".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    get it?

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

why do we owe you royalties?

16. kgblazerfive

Get it, sled

My last name is Blazer:D

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not saying bind couldn't be greatly reduced. It surely could, but when a setup like the middle axle mounted with slide/shackle setup that so many people run is such a great design, why go another way? Innovation is great and all but hey, somethings just work.

Oh and there is a section in my Chassis Fabrication class book that is about this exact design. Noting it as a common design on cars of the 50s/60s and that its largely been phased out and "in some cases will cause binding".

18. kgblazerfive

Ok so it might sound like we are arguing the same point. The system works on the middle of an axel when a shackle is used or a slide. It doesn't work when you don't use one and you mount it by or near the leaf spring. If you mount a bar from the top of the pumpkin to the frame or a crossmember above the driveshaft and do not use a slid or a shackel mount it will bind.

19. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

20. kgblazerfive

I just re-read the first post if the bar is attched to the leaf spring then yes it will work, my point and what I thought the post said that it attached to the frame then it wouldn't work.