Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saw a nice K5 get destroyed last night

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Jul 27, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Went to the Drive in last night with the wife and kids (and our nieghbors) Saw the Italian Job and Tomb Raider II.

We left halfway through Tomb Raider cuz I was falling asleep...

Anyways, the drive-in is on a secondary highway which is 2 lane and as we were leaving I saw a bunch of dust, smoke and steam coming from across the road from the exit of the drive-in. There was a 90 or 91 K5 in the ditch, it was on it's side and the front wheel was still spinning. It must have happened only seconds before we got to the road from the drive-in...

Anyways, we went to call 911 at the store a block away (No cell phone...) and came back to see if we could help any. By that time there were a few others there and the driver was kinda folded in half pinned under the truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The fire, ambulance and police were there in no time flat and closed the highway down while they were trying to get the guy out. He was coherent, but trapped in a very awkward position...thankfully the ditch was dry and somewhat soft.

One person actually saw what happened, some guy leaving the drive-in just pulled out without looking, smoking the tires and stuff and the guy in the Blazer took evasive action. It's a straight piece of road and you could tell he was avoiding something or someone by the skid marks. I guess his front passenger corner dug into the ditch and the truck cartwheeled over it's nose and landed on the passenger side facing the opposite direction.

The driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt...if he was he'd have been fine and still hanging in his seat instead of under his own truck at the bottom of the ditch.

I guess if we would have left 15-20 seconds earlier we would have seen the jerk that caused the whole mess...

Oh yeah, the Blazer was destroyed.

Rene

2. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Whoa! Hope that guy is OK. Metal can be replaced...flesh can't.

I guess the guy that caused the whole mess didn't stick around??? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

damn....least the guys gonna be ok, right?

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    damn....least the guys gonna be ok, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    maybe im just an a$$hole, but if he isnt ok i bet he will wear his belt next time.
    dont get me wrong, i dotn wear my belt all the time ethier, but i do on a highway, or if i go over 35MPH. theese days a cop in AZ cant pull you over JUST for a belt violation. but they can add it if they pull you over for something else. so i kind of have to wear it. and i dont trust air bags.
    Grant

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

crazy chit that its, hmm...

here in IL they JUST recently passed law where belts are required: as in they can pull you over JUST for not wearing belt, this was passed week or two ago, you used to not have to buckle up and not get in trouble fo rit unless you get pulled over for something else other than no belt on, now its different, have to buckle up everytime no matter what now. used ot just get a warning or 55 dollar ticket at the most for no belt

at least the K5 is a 90s one, hehe would be pissed if it was damn old like 69-79 years.

6. tRustyK5

I really don't know if he is gonna be all right. He was apparently doubled over at the waist and pinned. Who knows beyond that? It was really late (like 2 am) and we had both our kids in the truck sleeping. As much as I wanted to see if he was OK we had to go...

I would guess he would be a big supporter of seat belts after this. I showed my wife how the roof had collapsed and said "That's why I'm building a roll cage dear..."

I think he went through the windshield when the front corner dug into the ditch...he landed in front of the truck at the bottom of the ditch and then the truck landed on him./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The windshield was pushed out of it's frame rather than staying in the frame while broken.

He would have been better off hitting the dumb-ass that cut him off...

Rene

7. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

While in CA. I was driving down I-5 with a friend of mine. His driving was rather frightening so I put in my seatbelt. We were almost back to San Diego and some other guy tried to change lanes but clipped the front end of my buddies car. We slid sideways then shot across 3 lanes and straight into a guardrail. Luckily I was wearing a seatbelt so I just got a nasty bruise across my shoulder. Now I always wear a seatbelt.

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He would have been better off hitting the dumb-ass that cut him off...

[/ QUOTE ]
    my thoughts exactly. i thought if you left the road to avoid hitting something and ended up crashing your car or someone elses- its your fault. maybe i'm wrong. i remember when i lived in colorado, we had a real bad deer problem in my home valley. lots of em killed every night, jumpin out at ya. well if you hit one, your insurance would cover it. if you swerved and pilled it up in the ditch, you were screwed. not sure if its the same for auto accedents though.

if the guy was doubled up under his rig, he is going to have some serious back problems- like paralisis. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

man, i hear more and more horrible traffic accedent stories every day. and i just drive slower and slower. I must just be gettting old. LOL. i don't really get in a hurry going places any more.

9. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Before that they could always find something else to stop you for, then write you up for the seat belt violation. In my case I was stopped because the state trooper said he couldn't read my plate because of the 2" ball on my step bumper (the same ball that has been on that bumper for 23 years and never been a problem). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif He said "I see your plate is OK, but since I have you stopped...." /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, the tow ball is an easy way to pull someone over. another is the reciver hitch. in AZ it is illegal to drive around with a hitch in your reciver and no trailer behind it. think if a little geo metro that has a worthless bumber drives into a hitch. thatll push right through the bumber into the engine into the fire wall into the people.

Grant

11. tRustyK5

I guess it depends on how soft the bottom of the ditch was, and if there was much of a hollow for the guy under the truck. The lady that was down there checking on him said he was on his back and his legs were doubled over him. Kinda like touching your toes...same position excpet on his back. He was coherent and concious and speaking, so I had the impression he wasn't being crushed too badly, but definitely trapped there.

Rene

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

We all have choices. His was not to hit the guy. It was also his choice not to wear a seatbelt. Who cares if a law exsists or not? Seatbelts keep you from going through the windshield and being shot out of the vehicle like a rag doll. If yer gonna be stupid, ya better be tough.

Oh ya, and this will most likely be called "Another SUV related accident". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. tRustyK5

At least I didn't see 20 or 30 empty cans of beer...and it doesn't look like he was going over the speed limit. Of course I'm no expert...but if he was going much over the limit I think it would have been quite apparent even to a layman.

Rene

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

And your point being?

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i hope the guy is ok

16. tRustyK5

The paper this morning didn't give much info other than he was "seriously injured".../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Seems like driving a lifted K5 will give them reasons to pull you over if they want, they can always find something wrong like mud flaps, or bumpers, or off-road lights, crack in windshield, tires sticking out from fenders, etc etc LOL not that I know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought the seatbelt law was nation wide now, "Click it or ticket" started here in WA like a year ago, and people have bitched since, but it has made a lot of people wear them just because they don't want a ticket, as if thats the worst that can happen /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Been in two accidents because of other peoples poor driving, some things just can't be controlled, and driving a wheel chair would be much worse than wearing a seatbelt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif