Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saw a Pinzgauer 6x6 today. Couple Pix.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Aug 15, 2005.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Did a search, this has been up before, but looked like it'd been awhile. Maybe some newbies will like it. Pretty interesting drivetrain config...good clearance, bad flex. Mogs rule :D

Pinzgauer 8-15-05 I 001.jpg

Pinzgauer 8-15-05 I 002.jpg

Pinzgauer 8-15-05 I 003.jpg

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Carefull man, even suggest that it may have something do with a Unimog and some Pinz owners will lynch you, kind of like the whole nice jeep thing when it is a samurai early bronco or scout. They may not have much flex but man those things can go anywhere

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks like some similar items to the Mog (but as mentioned already, not the same thing)

Are those IFS axles I see?? :cool:

The "backbone" structure that links the front and rear axles, and supports the weight of the cab is reminiscent of the Mog design....keeps the CG nice and low too.

German Engineering can be some really bizarre stuff to look at.....initially it makes NO sense, but then the more you study it the more you start to realize and appreciate the reasons why they make the choices they do. Every time I see a 'Mog somewhere I always find myself wondering if I could somehow find just a LITTLE more storage at my house, so that I could buy one! :D

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pinzs are independant everywhere. they are built to take on rough stuff no fuses circuit breakers full time 4 or 6wd with a locking center diff and lockers front and rear. They really have no flex but unless you lift a tire way high it just feels like it is still planted to the ground. Really and truly a stock pinz would be the ulitimate hunting rig, a place to sleep enough room to put your elk in it and ability to go nearly everywhere you go and oh yeah did I mention the factory rifle holders?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The current issue of Off Road Adventures magazine has a great article on Pinzes. The biggest issue with them is that they are slow... But heck, Greg could just swap in a 632 and solve that problem! ;)

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

We have severial around here. Wheeled with a guy in a Pinz 2 years ago, never seen a rig on 2 wheels so many times on just one trail. The things have no flex and are extremly tippy. I would rather wheel a jeep ;) . To the guys credit he never realy put it on its side....he always drove out of it or it leaned aginst a tree and he just kept going untill it fell on its wheels again.

7. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

pinzies are like sammys. they don't flex for crap but that just doesn't stop them. the places i have gone with open diffs, (hell, in 2wd!?!) amaze me. stuff i never though i'd get down. my sammy is stock right down to the stock 27" street tires. they are the best performing open diff stock vehcile i've ever seen or heard of.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

My wife and I saw a 4wd Pinz at Walmart here in Vancouver. It was so damn cool, that thing is the ultimate grocery-getter. I was jealous as hell. I wanted to take pics, but didn't have my camera and my cell phone doesn't have the capability. grrr!!! they are bitch'n rigs.

j