Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Saw your post about the bandwidth and had an idea....

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by K5DRAGER, Mar 2, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this is a good idea or not but thought I would pass it on and see. I saw your post about bandwidth and was thinking how I might help and thought of this. Again just an idea, but how about an online raffle like they do locally. Ya know get some offroad goody's and we buy chance's online to win these item's. Maybe we could all benefit to a point.Just a thought.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You know, I wanted to do this a while ago, but when I checked into it, I found that unless you are a non-profit organization (Hmmm I might fall into this catagory) it is illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    (Hmmm I might fall into this catagory)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I would. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, I wanted to do this a while ago, but when I checked into it, I found that unless you are a non-profit organization (Hmmm I might fall into this catagory) it is illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Pirate? They did a raffle... I didn't think Lance had the BB as non profit? Ask him about it. It would be a nice money maker... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

you have to be VERY careful with raffles, and "donations" etc. A small amount of $$ brought in will not "alert" the IRS, however if it is a large sum of cash- plan on having uncle sam knocking on your door- if your not a 501(c)3. We are going through this with our Rec Dept right now...If all monies raised from a raffle are being donated to a 501(c)3 organization there is no problems- but if monies raised are for a business- or any other type of organization- its not a good thing to do.

Setting up a 501(c)3 is not an easy process either- it can take anywhere from 6-12 months depending on how fast your state agency gets stuff taken care of.

With the memberships- we are purchasing a service- with raffles- or even donations, its increasing Steve's "revenue", while not showing up in the expense or service side of his books.

But- here's a thought- a lot of places- "archive" message boards after x # of days/posts.

Maybe the 4sale/wanted posts should delete after 60 days- if after 60 days- someone still has a part for sale or needed- they can repost- but to have 119 for sale pages- with 20 posts on each page- thats gotta eat up something- or do posts not use bandwith till someone looks at them?

Brandy

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinkin too. There is a lot of stuff that could be gone... For Sale forum, Other rides forum, non 4x4 forum... do we really need to keep those around forever? Especially since a lot of those contain pics.
    Also, I cant remember the outcome of the decision on non-members having pics within posts... is that a big factor too?

Mike

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

the pictures in posts dont use bandwith- but the members rides does- but thats a paid feature...

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    or do posts not use bandwith till someone looks at them?

[/ QUOTE ] that is correct /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif also i have a sticky post in the forsale forums asking people to put sold or found please delete that way they don't take up hard drive room and is easy-er for people to read through /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif