Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sawzall + air saw = major room (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Feb 24, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I finally got my fenders hacked today, I must say they look great, I used a sawzall to cut the inner fender well as high as I could go and then cut the inside fender brace, I was going to cut the sheet metal with the sawzall and figured that there was no way that I would get a straight line. I had the UAV at Tanner 4wheel anyway for another problem that I created (long story) so I asked them to cut just the sheet metal for me, what they did was cut a small cut in the lower rocker where I told them I wanted it (six inches from the door) and pressed in a piece of large electrical wire and held it tight where I wanted it at the top and simply drew a line on the fender with a marker, then they cut it with an air saw (which I don't have). They only charged me 25. bucks, the best 25. bucks I spent in a long time. Some people might say I'm not a real man because I didn't cut the outer fender myself [​IMG] but hey, real men know their limitations. [​IMG] They turned out way better than if I did it myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    What do you have your roof rack mounted to, a roll cage? If this has been covered before I readily admit to be too lazy to do a search.
    David

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

ALL RIGHT! .... Lift what lift I got me a sawzall! hahaha.
    How tall is that door? can't believe you can pull in with that rack! Heck with a 4 inch lift and 32's I only have about 4 inches with nothing on the roof.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. CK5

The rack is installed on a Can-back soft top, there is a very sturdy shell under the fabrick, the rack also comes off in about 5 min or can be left at home for those heavily treed trails.
    Grim - I have an 8 foot tall 3 bay garage, it isn't very deep as you can tell but I have plenty of height left even with the rack.
    Also, my Blazer does not look as good as it does in the pics, I can't believe what pics can hide. [​IMG] Damn, even the rims look shiny!!!

Steve
    [​IMG]

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Have you got any pics of the inside of the outer fender where the support used to be? I've been putting off cutting mine because I'm not sure how I want to cut the inner part of the outer fender, I don't want it to get too weak.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I did the same to mine. I bought some door edging and put it on where I had used the body saw to trim the fenders. It looks much better. I hacked mine about 6" from rear of fender but my cut was made 13" down from the bodyline. I wanted to cut as high as yours but I think I got plenty of clearance from the cut I made. I like the looks of it too! You need to get that Mall-Running Poser out and get some scratches in the paint. [​IMG] I always say this about my K5: "It looks good from far, but i'ts far from good"

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

7. CK5

Mudzer, let's see some pics with the cuts and the new meats. Believe me, there is scratches all down the thing, but the lighting and the color white are awesome, I took the pic just after I washed it in the garage with the 300 watt bulbs on and the sun shinning in, I believe I just found the perfect light for all my future pics. [​IMG]

I almost forgot, I sprayed some white rust perventive paint on a piece of cardboard and then used a small brush to paint the fresh exposed metal.
    Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coloradok5 on 02/24/01 08:35 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. CK5

jcg - yes I have the pics you are looking for, I will try to get them all up with a tech article next week, still have a few reviews to get done yet. By only having 6 inches of fender at the bottom it turned out sturdy, no flapping in the wind or anything. I cut under the bolts that hold the inner fender to the body so no strength issues there.

Steve
    [​IMG]

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Is there also a pic of the inner tub at the back? That is what I am concerned about. Other than that, it looks great. Way better than i would have thought with that much cut out.
    Great... another job for the spring. Boy am I going to be busy!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

looks great steve. Is that you in the top pic? time for a trim, pal!

I hate to be a stickler on tiny little details, but are those ORD HD front shackles I spy it the closeup pics? I thought you were running the Hill4wd shackles? Just an observation.

--matt
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>[​IMG]

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Looks good, bout time you hacked that thing, I would have had some seriously cut tires or nasty crinkled fenders if I had let mine that long. I have hacked out all I can on the front, including all the inner fender I could and still have protection from crud being thrown in the engine bay. Not to mention both my inner fenders are used as mounting points. I also hacked out part of the metal in the floor pan, just the seam that sticks out towards the front tire. The only way I can make more room now is with a sledge hammer, or re doing my floorboards!

4" to 6" of lift, cut out the fenders and slap on some real rubber, the only way to wheel.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

12. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> hey steve what kind of paint did you use on those fenders after you hacked em? i got a place or two i have to repair temporarily till i get it in the body shop, just thought id see what you used on that open metal..

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

13. CK5

Yeah I know about the time thing, my inner fender was pushed back from the tire rubbing quite a bit and with Moab just around the corner I needed to do something fast. I plan on running 37's here in the next few weeks and then it's 38x15 SX's when they come out in a 16" size late this year or early next. What I will do to make them fit with my 5" lift is move both axles outward about an inch or so. I will see how this goes with the 37's before I cut that seam though, I should be OK because I am only running 12.5" wide tires, the width is where it realy gets you. Chris Geiger (sp?) redid his floorboards for more room on his Toyota and looked pretty cool, with a K5 there is even more room so that might be something you should do when you go to bigger tires, you know you will, 36" look small now. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]

14. CK5

The paint I used was just krylon rustolym or something like that from a rattle can.

Steve
    [​IMG]

15. CK5

Umm, no that is not me in the pic, I don't have that much hair. [​IMG] I took the hills off when I installed the Dana60 to keep the same ride height, the 60 spring perches sit almost an inch higher than the 1/2 ton axles so I switched to ORD (1/4 of lift) and was close to the same height, I play with parts all the time to get the setup I need, so if you see something one day it may be something different the next.

Steve
    [​IMG]

16. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Geez Steve, you had my hopes all up with the title of this post.

I opted to pound the seam flat while I was bashing in my floor boards with the baby sledge.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd